Lake Jackson (Millers Landing) 5/24

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Poopong McPlop

Lake Jackson (Millers Landing) 5/24

Post by Poopong McPlop »

We dropped the boat in at 3 at Millers landing. I couldnt quite find the drop off and I didnt want to go too far out in the water even though I was driving a 4x4 so we launched the boat dry. The water needs to rise about 4 more feet to return to its former glory in the late 90s. As soon as we launched I knew it was a mistake, the water was no deeper than 5 ft, with most of the area 3 ft or less. I tried to find the boat trail to make the run to Crowder, but it didnt look quite clear in the trail, and I wasnt quite sure which trail went where. This is one of the times I really wish Google maps had hi rez images of the area in there map app. I guess they will one day. Even though it was 3, I decided to check the pad edge on the west side where the water was the calmest. I figured the fish might just hang in the "shallows" during the middle of the day instead of open water since the whole place was shallow. We didnt get any bites, for the first 2 hours, but I did see a carp the size of honey boo boo. I'm not sure if Carp can get to 100lbs, but this thing looked like it was close. It was way thicker and bigger than some small sailfish I've caught that were 40lbs.
After the carp left we fished the offshore pads and found a few spawning nests of handsized shell crackers on the open water side. I also caught a slab shell cracker on a diving pond minnow. Water temps were in the mid 80s. All fish except for the slab were caught on brim busters, cork and a worm.
Last edited by Poopong McPlop on June 24th, 2013, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Lake Jackson 5/24

Post by SS-342 »

Some days are like that but seems you had a good one! Thanks for the report.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Lake Jackson 5/24

Post by CoastalPirate »

Man it's been rough out there lately. Was out there a few weeks ago and the only fish I caught was this chain pickeral on a crank bait. Last weekend my buddy went out and they boated 2 bass under a pound in a span of 5 hours. I feel your pain.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369792528.412798.jpg
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate