Caturday at Lake Talquin (Stoutamire Landing) 6/15/13

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Poopong McPlop

Caturday at Lake Talquin (Stoutamire Landing) 6/15/13

Post by Poopong McPlop »

We arrived at Stoutamire landing at around 10am. Water temps were 85 on the surface and wind was about 15mph out of the east. I figured we had arrived too late to fish the shallows, so we anchored on a couple offshore spots in the channel in Freemans creek. We were fishing for BG and shell cracker and we caught a few, but we mainly caught channel cats. We moved to another slightly offshore drop off on a point and we caught a channel cat. We fished for another couple hours in 7-10ft marking good sonar reads with buoys and fishing them with no luck. I guess I was marking shad or something. At 2 we came back to the dock to eat lunch and take a break. Everyone fishing from land were catching catfish. One guy had a bucket full and he had only been there an hour, and we watched him catch 3 in the 20 minutes we stopped to eat. He was using Sonnys stink bait. I've never had any luck preventing it from washing out of the bait holder. In the afternoon we tried fishing some of the points where I had gotten great bottom reads, but caught nothing but dinks. We moved to the main lake and fished blowdown on the shore in 5-6fow. We caught some BGs, but we kept catching even more catfish. One tree had 3 5lb Channel cats in it, 2 of which straightened the light wire hooks we were using. Eventually we worked our way to the spot I caught the 11lb LMB on thursday and caught another Channel cat. After that the yellow flies were eating me up so we headed in with a little day light left. Another slow, but good day at the TQ. If anyones got any good tips for deepwater BG/Shellcracker at Talquin when surface temps are high 80-90s. I'd love to hear it. We fished some great sonar reads, deepwater structure loaded with multiple schools of fish, but no gamefish wanted a worm.