Lake Hall 6/18/13

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Poopong McPlop

Lake Hall 6/18/13

Post by Poopong McPlop »

We arrived at the boat ramp at 2pm. The wind was out of the SE at 8mph and surface temps were 88. There was a bad cloud overhead so we took shelter for 15 min and I tied fluorcarbon leaders for 5 poles until it passed over. We attempted drifting open water for the first 2 hours and only caught a LMB. My tipped jigs got their tails bit off a couple times in 15ft. Although we didnt catch much, I did see some excellent marks at a couple spots in 25ft where it bordered the 30ft area on the north side of the lake. I'll have to buoy and drop some minnows down there next time I'm on the lake. The huge school didnt appear to be holding to anything in particular and they were suspended a couple feet off the bottom. So they may not exactly be there next time, but I marked it in GPS anyways. If I were to guess I would think it was a huge school of the elusive 1lb+ blue gills or speckled perch. At 5 we headed inshore and fished the shaded weed line of the lake near the dock. We found a big school and caught about 40 decent ones. As the sun went down we went to my shell cracker spot and caught about 30 more. Tightlining ruled in this spot. The fish wouldnt touch it on a bobber, but took it instantly tightlined. We kept about 10 hand sized BG and the LMB. Another good day at my home lake. Image
kenfly

Re: Lake Hall 6/18/13

Post by kenfly »

Nice!! I love that lake but haven't been in a while
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

I love reading your reports, keep it up!

Question, I've never heard the term "tightlining" before, can you educate me?

Thanks!

Post by Poopong McPlop »

tight lining is bottom fishing with a tiny split shot or no split shot. You keep a tight line and feel for the bump and take em. Sometimes if I'm having trouble with them feeling the line tightness, Ill leave some line floating and when it unravels I set the hook. Sometimes bigger BG or especially shell crackers will NOT take it unless its tightlined. Sometimes we'll think there's no fish on a structure and just before we leave we'll tight line one to the bottom and bam they start taking the bait and its on.