Ocklockonee River (Hwy 90) 6/20/13

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Poopong McPlop

Ocklockonee River (Hwy 90) 6/20/13

Post by Poopong McPlop »

We arrived at 2:30pm after picking up bait at Rivers. It was overcast, and the river seemed to be at normal water levels. Water temps varied between 78 and 82 and the wind was out of the South. This was my first time fishing the river above Coe Landing. I considered going to Coe today, but I felt it might be easier to locate the fish in the river because it's a smaller waterway and I want to go to Coe for the full moon on saturday. We trolled above the bridge pilings and anchored and tossed minnows and worms to drift pass the pilings for 30 minutes without a bite. Sonar showed some bait here and there around the pilings, but we decided to head up river a mile and drift and anchor down the river for the rest of the afternoon. Sonar showed schools of fish in a couple of the drop offs in the bends as we headed up river. One extremely vertical school in particular, suspended in 15ft looked like crappie. When we reached a good stopping point to begin our drift we found a shallow calm feeder creek with lily pads nearby. We anchored there and pulled out a 3lb blue cat a couple red breasts and some blue gill hanging tight to the cypress trees in the creek mouth. We slowly drifted the mile down stopping in the bends to fish the swirls, blowdown and underwater log jams without too much luck. I did have a decent sized Bass swallow my cork off fishing the top of some brushpile. I wasnt sure what to do at first as he had my cork for a second or two, so I yanked it out of his mouth which spooked him into the deep water. Also had a 1ft gator chew on my cork as well. At the end of the day we ended up keeping a couple foul hooked red breasts, 5 BG, a 3lb blue cat and a 5lb flathead. A little slow, but a good day on the upper Ocklockonee.