Lake Talquin (Stoutamire Landing) 7/10/13

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Poopong McPlop

Lake Talquin (Stoutamire Landing) 7/10/13

Post by Poopong McPlop »

We night fished for channel cats starting at 10. Normally we would run passive devices if we wanted filets, but we were in the mood for some easy action. We set out rods with chicken liver that had been thawed in the microwave, and after an hour with zero bites I knew something was wrong. I normally have 2 5lb Channel cats within 30 minutes anywhere past Luther Hall. I moved 3 rods shallow and still had no takers in 20 minutes. I usually do not leave bait in anything under 5ft because the gars will be all over it at night during the summer. After waiting we pulled in all rods and switched to fresh frozen livers that had just recently thawed from the ambient outside temperature. We also put out a rod with Sonny's stink bait. Within 20 minutes we had 3 cats. By the end of the night we had about 11-12 cats, the largest ones being around 8lbs. Side by side, the channel cats almost always take the fresh liver first, but punch bait can really bring them in if you know how to use it and if current allows. Nothing picked up the 5" live BG we put out on the bottom. We fished the mouth of Freeman creek because the cats stack up nearby after hard rains. Good night at Talquin.
reelbad

Re: Lake Talquin (Stoutamire Landing) 7/10/13

Post by reelbad »

Poopong McPlop wrote:We night fished for channel cats starting at 10. Normally we would run passive devices if we wanted filets, but we were in the mood for some easy action. We set out rods with chicken liver that had been thawed in the microwave, and after an hour with zero bites I knew something was wrong. I normally have 2 5lb Channel cats within 30 minutes anywhere past Luther Hall. I moved 3 rods shallow and still had no takers in 20 minutes. I usually do not leave bait in anything under 5ft because the gars will be all over it at night during the summer. After waiting we pulled in all rods and switched to fresh frozen livers that had just recently thawed from the ambient outside temperature. We also put out a rod with Sonny's stink bait. Within 20 minutes we had 3 cats. By the end of the night we had about 11-12 cats, the largest ones being around 8lbs. Side by side, the channel cats almost always take the fresh liver first, but punch bait can really bring them in if you know how to use it and if current allows. Nothing picked up the 5" live BG we put out on the bottom. We fished the mouth of Freeman creek because the cats stack up nearby after hard rains. Good night at Talquin.
You might want to check the regulations on fishing with live or cut BG for bait.? I think it is not legal but I could be wrong.
Poopong McPlop

Post by Poopong McPlop »

I have, no game fish live or in pieces on any passive device. Panfish may be used as bait on hook and line by the person who caught it. Black bass live or in pieces may not be used as bait at all.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

I have a friend that catches plenty of CC's during the day while brim fishing. He'll catch anywhere from 5-15 in a morning trip. I went with him yesterday and we got 7 fishing crickets and worms under corks. 3-5' of water.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
Poopong McPlop

Post by Poopong McPlop »

Where about's are you guys finding the bream in the mornings at Talquin? We have days out there where we literally cannot find a single decent one over 7". I literally cannot put a summer pattern together for any species at Talquin. I feel like the fish in an area get up and move out to Goat island area or beyond. I know BG and shell crackers are supposed to remain in the general area from studies done and we find a lot of schools of 6" BG roaming or parked on the bottom in 5-6ft , but we have yet to catch any of the near surface suspended deepwater BG I see on sonar during the middle of the day or more than one shell cracker at a time. You dont have to give up any of your spots but if you could offer me any type of information to help me pattern the bream or shell crackers at Talquin I would be much obliged.