First Freshwater Report!

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

First Freshwater Report!

Post by Chalk »

:o :-D

Fished the two day Gulf County Sheriffs Bass tournament at Whitecity. Fished with Hays Brooks and we fished the lower end of the Apalachicola river. Haven't fished for bass on purpose in over 10 years. Hell, I didn't have any bass tackle, license or rods....but I made do with what I had....bought enough to get me by and I did get some license too lol.

Biggest tournament I have fished was in Jacksonville....about 70 boats....well we had 85 boats in this event. From 1972 Rangers to Express boats to top of the line Phoenix bass boats. Heck of a sight being mixed up in the inter-coastal with that many boats. We being in a Lake & Bay (that is slower than my boat 8) ) we didn't get passed but once at blast off.

We fished a lot of creeks and sloughs on the first day....catching about 25 bass. We weighed in 5 fish at an astounding 6.23lbs on day one.....think 14lbs was leading.

Day two inverted the field....being boat 43 we some how went backwards instead of forward for launch. The river changed over night....fish chart said it was going to be tough and it was. We managed maybe 5 fish all day....only two keepers. After the dust settled we finished 41st.

We caught the fish on Zoom speed worms, KVD crankbaits & BPS suspenders

The best part was I had a blast....actually thinking about fishing a few more bass tournaments.....I'm even building a new bass rod at the moment :-D .
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: First Freshwater Report!

Post by captkeyser »

Very cool Chalk. :thumbup: :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

You shoulda called me.

I'll bet that 85 boats in the ICW was a hoot. Never been in a tournament with that many boats out of White City. Last tournament I fished out of there was about 50 boats.........in a thick fog. :o

On most days a 14 lb. stringer is strong on the lower Ap. There are some locals and regulars that do well. Most of the heavier stringers come from up the river.

If you fish more sweetwater tournaments, give me a call if it's some place you think I might have been. Send me your credit card information and I'll have the tackle you need shipped directly to you. You know I'm always willing to help. :-D
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

It took 27.59 lbs to win and they all went up river as I am told. I started to stop by and plunder though your bass stuff the other day lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Chalk wrote:It took 27.59 lbs to win and they all went up river as I am told. I started to stop by and plunder though your bass stuff the other day lol
Call before you come. I'm not home much any more. Bring cash!
What was I supposed to do today?