Lake Jackson 4/26/14

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Poopong McPlop

Lake Jackson 4/26/14

Post by Poopong McPlop »

Today was the 1st day of the 1st 3 days of the new moon. The surface temperatures started in the mid 70's and by noon had reached 80. By 3pm the surface temps peaked at 83 on the main lake The wind was stagnant and the water appeared to be a cloudy light green from a recent zooplankton explosion on the crowder side due to the recent temperature increase. Like the previous fishing trip we baited 3 migration routes into a major feeding area at the feeding time of 9am-11am this morning. We ended up with much better results this time. Around the 9am major feeding time the shellcrackers rushed in like a faucet being turned on before slowing to a steady flow and at around 11am they rushed out again from the feeding area.

Because of the major lunar feeding activity associated with the approach of the new moon of April the fish generally seem to try to remain close to the feeding areas as compared to other days of this month. We found fish holding around pre-emergent grasses that were buried just below the surface of the water well past the major daytime feeding time today, but by 2pm they had moved to the open water in our spot (due to boat traffic). I unanchored around 2pm after 30 minutes of ceasing to see activity on the sonar. I drifted through open water adjacent to feeding areas with worms on the bottom and managed a keeper every 15 minutes or so until we departed around 5:30pm. For those of you wondering where all this pre-emergent grass is, its near where you find already emergent grass. The more grass, the larger and better the feeding area is. We call the large grass areas in open water that have emerged by june, "shellcrackervilles" On the day we caught well over 100 fish. We kept 62 shell crackers and bluegills between 7.5-10". We also caught a couple bass as well. Nearly all were caught between the 9-11am lunar feeding time. We were able to catch only 2 giant coppernose blue gills with the best being about 1.5 lbs. We caught the majority with worms corked to the bottom or tightlined with baby slider rigs while anchored. We generally anchor on our excellent spots during the major feeding times, but you can have a ton of success albeit in lower numbers by one poling the emergent grass areas, pads, or inshore vegetation during the lunar feeding times. You can use a bream buster or if youre adept, I recommend tossing a verly light baby cork and split shot rig with a medium-light spinning reel. My personal setup is a cheap shimano open face spinning reel with a 7ft rod. I have 50lb power pro moss green braid attached to various strengths of fluorocarbon leaders, always with a narrow sliding cork and large split shot 10-14 inches away from a tiny light wire hook. I've found in the past as the surface temps remain in the 80s the bluegills will begin entering the feeding areas and attempt to fan out beds and feed in preparation for the spawns from now until october. Another good day at Lake Jackson!

10" 1.5lb female bluegill