4/28/14 Lake Jackson

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Poopong McPlop

4/28/14 Lake Jackson

Post by Poopong McPlop »

This is gonna be a brief one. We made it out an hour prior to the morning major feeding time. To our dismay the wind was a steady 12mph out of the east/southeast with gusts up to 25mph. The wind significantly reduced the morning feed in my opinion. We caught almost 200 fish over the last 2 April new moon trips out here, and today we only caught about 10, with only 5 being keepers. We were catching at a significantly low rate at our best spot, but it was choppy so I moved us to the south end of the Crowder side of the lake where it was calm, but fishless for the most part. After moving, we found a couple nice ones at the entrance to a boat trail in rough water, before I decided to completely move out of the crowder area entirely. I took a newly flooded boat trail over to the nearby Lucerne Drive section of the lake and the water was almost glass upon our arrival. By this time we were past the morning major feeding time and we only managed a single toad. I did see a nice bass smashing bait in the pads just before leaving this section of the lake and heading in for the day around 2:30pm. I dont currently have a barometer, but I would like to see if there was a high pressure system in conjunction with all this wind. Ill probably just pick up a cheap one from Amazon and in the future I'll try to add barometer readings to my fishing reports. As of this writing the lake has reach an unprecedented level of 85.1' above sea level. Lake Jackson hasnt seen pool levels like this since 97. Another lesson taught to me, by ole Lake Jackson.

1lb toad
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: 4/28/14 Lake Jackson

Post by SS-342 »

The colors on that fish are pretty and bright. What is a "toad"? Didn't look like a frog to me!

Wow, what confidents! To go fishing under those conditions and expect to catch fish. I read a little disappointment and humbleness in this report.

Interesting report and another good one. Thanks
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

According to the charts looks like an avg of about 29.9".

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/ ... e/historic

Might have to use this in the future to compare various weather features to on the water results...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Poopong McPlop

Post by Poopong McPlop »

We call em Toads when they begin to look like adult Coppernose Bluegill. They can have a range of colors at this stage. This one we caught was the most beautiful Bream I've ever seen, it had a light blue also on its face that was not picked up by the camera. We had caught over 200 the previous few trips so we expected a bit even in poorer conditions. I guess that theory didnt hold. We did make the most of it, and found several good windy weather spots that should hold fish in the future under similar conditions.