Lake talquin Bream/shell cracker

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

drucker

Lake talquin Bream/shell cracker

Post by drucker »

I was wondering how the bream and shell cracker are doing. I'm headed over the 16th-18th. I'm taking my parents and grandparents and they have never been on the lake. If ya got some places for us to try let me know some reports.
drucker

Re: Lake talquin Bream/shell cracker

Post by drucker »

What about specs. I went 2 weeks ago and they were still shallow. Does anyone know about it now.
Poopong McPlop

Post by Poopong McPlop »

If the main lake is still in the 60s the specks should still be around I would think. Bream and shell crackers should be going on bed this full moon like they did last year, look for the good ones just off the pads in calm waters.
drucker

Post by drucker »

Ok I heard about Bell lake is a good spot to try but I don't know where that is.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Bell Lake is more of a community hole. I would fish the creeks and keep moving till you find them. There will be plenty of redbellies and bluegills to keep you busy. Locate an area you smell them then fish to zero in on them. It's still a little early for the masses to bed with the weather and water.
drucker

Post by drucker »

You mean its private or just the regulars can fish it.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Community Hole = Spot that everybody knows about.

Ask Jumptrout on this forum, he can tell you all about it. :-D
drucker

Post by drucker »

Ok I got to find out where it is. I been looking at it on the Google map but it's not labeled.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Just past the island and picnic point when headed towards the dam.
I would go right past it take a right going into the next creek and go into the first slough on the right. This is the Rice Patties or Lakeview Point which is great for shell crackers and late crappie spawners. Also try the left point going into Blount Creek. These are few very good shell cracker holes, but are well known. I do not fish these areas anymore, because I don't like company and like many other Talquin bream fishermen I keep my personal beds to myself. I take my youth group, wife along with other friends and family. I will make sure anyone catches a mess of fish. I promise all these creeks are loaded right now with crackers and gills. Beetlespins in 1/32 or 1/50 are great for finding fish. Cast down the shoreline, while covering plenty of water till you find them. Then sit back and toss crickets. Or just throw crickets under a light cork to bank structure till you find them. This works great for Gills. The nose is the best tool for locating bedding areas then you zero in by fan casting these areas. By the way if you have a smaller boat the bream are much bigger below the dam in the river.
Last edited by crappielimits on May 11th, 2014, 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Or you can always use my desperate method:
Last edited by crappielimits on May 11th, 2014, 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

crappielimits wrote:Or you can always use my desperate method:

Some NICE FISH! Makes me want to go fresh water fishing.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP