Talquin flatheads?

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Swampbugs

Talquin flatheads?

Post by Swampbugs »

I live on Talquin down on the east end near the curtain and catfish quite a bit. Was wondering if anybody has any experience with flatheads in the lake. I know below the dam is good but I caught one the other night on a trot line on liver so I'm thinking about spending a night or two targeting them.
crappielimits

Re: Talquin flatheads?

Post by crappielimits »

Live bream or shad is best bait. Please keep all you catch they are not a natural species.
itiger

Post by itiger »

I caught one about 24" when trolling for crappie last week. I used 2" curly tail so I guess it was an accident...
Born to fish, forced to work!
Swampbugs

Post by Swampbugs »

I'm curious how established they are in the lake. Only data I've seen was for the river below the dam, and it was way less than the appilachicola and some of the bigger rivers to the west. I tried em last night with live bream and didn't get a bite, but I also got skunked on my trot line which seldom happens, so who knows. I'll keep after me for a little while just out of curiosity.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Swampbugs wrote:I'm curious how established they are in the lake. Only data I've seen was for the river below the dam, and it was way less than the appilachicola and some of the bigger rivers to the west. I tried em last night with live bream and didn't get a bite, but I also got skunked on my trot line which seldom happens, so who knows. I'll keep after me for a little while just out of curiosity.
They are not prevalent as they are an invasive species, not natural. They are mostly up the river this time of year. Data will show less as everyone is trying to clear them out to bring the lake back towards its prime. FWC frowns on throwing them back.
Swampbugs

Post by Swampbugs »

Yeah, I'm glad they haven't cleaned out our red belly population like they have some places....yet. I definitely plan to keep em if I find them.