Econfina 7-27-14

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Econfina 7-27-14

Post by red_yakker »

I decided to try something a little different this weekend. I haven't been freshwater fishing in years, so I figured it was about time to take it back up. I took my wife Laurel and not quite 2-year old daughter Amelia to the State ramp and headed upstream. I must also mention that Amelia had fallen asleep about 5 minutes before we got to the park, and we had to wake her up to get in the boat. I went as far as I could till we got hung up on some rocks and decided that was a good enough place to start. I lowered the trolling motor and started throwing a beetle-spin. My wife was using crickets. After about 10 minutes of that, Amelia had had enough and started pitching a fit, forcing Laurel to abandon her rod, leaving me as the only fisherman. I caught a few nice redbellies and bluegills pretty quick. I hung a nice bass that proved to be too much for my little ultra-light combo. He finally threw the hook. Caught one bluegill that has to be my personal best.
Though I've lived in Taylor County all my life, this was the first time I ever fished the Econfina. Other than dealing with the little temper tantrum, we had a pretty good time, and caught enough for dinner. We enjoyed it enough that we're planning on trying again next weekend, only this time maybe we'll convince the in-laws to watch Amelia. I really think that I could have pushed on past the rocks if I had tried a little harder. After looking at Google Earth this morning, I realized we were almost to the mill pond.
Oh, and in case you're wondering, Amelia fell asleep in the truck about 5 minutes before we got back home. If only we could figure out a way to time those naps better!
Attachments
BIG_BLUE.jpg
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Econfina 7-27-14

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice day, congrats. :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

That'a Boy! Nice work Benji.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

I've always wondered about the fishing up from the ramp, sounds like it could be a lot of fun:)
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I remember those days. Looking back on it - those times makes life worth living. Building memories and a lot of character. Keep it up!

High water grows those redbellies fast. When the water goes down is a good time to catch them.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP