Tough Fishing on Lake Jackson August/September

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

scag

Tough Fishing on Lake Jackson August/September

Post by scag »

Been out 3 times now - nothing! Had one nice explosion in deep pads using a hollow body frog but ultimately lost the fish due to hang up despite using 60lb braid and a heavy cover rod. I've been going out before sunrise in my Yak (about 6am) and throwing top water plugs/poppers, hollow body frogs, worms, and swim baits and i'm just not getting any bites in 3+ hours. I've fished in the pads, around them, open water, etc - still nothing. I've been fishing mainly on the crowder (south) side of the lake, but also did a trip on more of the north side w/ similar results. In the spring I did ok the couple times I went - landing a couple here and there.

Anyone had any luck? What am I missing? Thanks in advance!
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Re: Tough Fishing on Lake Jackson August/September

Post by fireant21 »

Been out there a few times in early August in my yak. Early and late before the sun either passes over or after it passes the trees were my only times for topwater. Mixed Cover near deep water were key for me. Pads, hydrilla, or penny wart mix. Not all one type. Had a couple good afternoons when summer showers had been overcast on the lake, which extended the topwater bite.