Suwannee bass

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

micci_man

Suwannee bass

Post by micci_man »

anyone target them?
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: Suwannee bass

Post by red_yakker »

I think most people have a hard time telling the difference between a Suwanee Bass and a largemouth. I know I can't. But from what I understand, you target one, you're targeting the other.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

I went with a friend that fishes for them often this time of year last Friday afternoon. We did well and brought home 8 and hooked/lost and threw back at least that many. Those little chunks can pull! We did catch 2 small LM bass that were released. It was a different way of fishing for me because most of what we caught we were able to see them and cast to them and watch them hit the bait. I know their range is limited in this area and was just curious if anyone else fished for them. I know I will be in the near future.
bbb

Suwannee bass

Post by bbb »

I have fished for Suwannee bass in the Ochlocknee river using crank baits.

Usually catch them around logs with moving water. Catch one about every other bend in the river.

Where did you fish. I would think water is too high and muddy for sight-fishing.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

A little spring fed river down the road from the house heading South :-D . Water is high but gin clear.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

we use to catch them on the Suwannee on small rebel crawfish on ultralight largest to date three # 8oz they do stretch your string. once you catch one and really look you will be able to tell the difference between suwannee an a large mounth
bman

Post by bman »

I remember catching them on a small gold and black broke back rapala... Fun fish and great to catch them in moving water.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

We have them in most local rivers including the Wakulla, St. Marks, Ochlockonee, and the Aucilla. The average size of these guys is 12" or about a pound, but can get up to around 3 lbs. They usually gravitate towards heavy structure such as docks and rocks, but I have done well on them in the Eelgrass on the northern Wakulla. In addition, Suwannees will put a largemouth to shame as far as the fight goes... :-D
Last edited by Jhults11 on February 5th, 2015, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
diamondback

Post by diamondback »

We fish for them in the upper ochlocknee. They are not as plentiful as in the other rivers . Prettiest freshwater fish I know of and pull like a train when you get a decent one.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

They pull like a freight train!
Team Jolly Mon
cotton

Suwannee bass

Post by cotton »

I've was looking for largemouth and found suwanees last weekend. 6 of 8 bass I caught were suwanees. I'm no expert, but here are my observations. I fished heavy current with a rocky bottom each time I found them. Their bite fealt more like a light peck and they don't seem to mind the cold. I'm still looking for a big suwannee.. My largest was only about 14 inches. My understanding is a 16" is a trophy. The world recor d is under 4 lbs. Their red eyes are the first thing you will noticed.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

We were using baby brush hog's in pumpkin seed color texas rigged.
diamondback

Post by diamondback »

micci_man wrote:We were using baby brush hog's in pumpkin seed color texas rigged.
Yeah,just about any small crawfish imimitation will work. I've have caught some on the big brush hog too and a couple on spinnerbaits. Like cotton said ,they peck almost like a bream when the bite
diamondback

Post by diamondback »

Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

A couple footballs from the ochlocknee
diamondback

Post by diamondback »

Another
Image[/URL]