PANFISH

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

PANFISH

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

A friend recently asked me about fresh water fishing and pan fish. I agreed it would be nice to fry up a batch but we first had to catch some.
Can anyone give a saltwater guy some advice? Would lake Jackson be an option? Can i put in at Rhoden Cove or Millers Landing? Should I drive out to Reeves or Lake Talquin.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: PANFISH

Post by Redbelly »

Cruise any local river. Pitch crickets under a cork along the edges in likely places, using ultralights with 4 lb test.
Also try the Rebel Crickhopper lure.

You should have a mess in no time. :D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Check out the post by Ty One On "Ty Smith" on FB :thumbup: They caught some damned fine ones in the Saint Marks river :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

Thanks for the tips......
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
bman

Post by bman »

Talqin and Jackson can both be great...
With all the pad lines all of lake Jackson can be good - I prefer the weed lines out of Crowder landing.

Talquin is also loaded- fish early around the iron curtain or any shore line near the river channel.

I prefer crickets and a #6 hook to worms but both will catch fish.
We have also caught lots trolling small beetle spins. try a dark and a light color to see what they are biting.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Put in a Shields or the fort. Turn left as you pass the first bend in the river, start working the tree trunks against the bank. Crickets on a small hook (no sinker) and a small cork. I usually do better when the water is higher and plenty of water around the trees. Ive rarely fished there without catching a nice mess of big bream!
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Great information guys! I am trying to get my son into the sport via panfishing.

Is there any place to buy crickets or other live panfish bait in Leon County, North of Apalachee Parkway?
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Bream are my favorite food ever...ever. And bream fishing in rivers, sinkholes and creeks is still my favorite kind of fishing. Bream fishing gets a soft reputation because of how easy it is in ponds, certain lakes etc but those woods savy bream are no cakewalk. And they're yum yum.