Lake Talquin 8-8-2015

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Lake Talquin 8-8-2015

Post by CoastalPirate »

Took the new boat out for the second time and I can't tell you what an awesome feeling it is to have the whole family aboard while fishing (before I could only take one other person with me on the Pelican). We launched from Lake Talquin Lodge at 12pm and immediately I made 2 newbie mistakes - forgot the plug and forgot to tie a good knot to the boat after it came off the trailer! I've never dove into water that quick in my life. I want to say that will never happen again but im sure it will. The air temp was around 95 degrees (heat advisory was in affect and I thought it was a good idea to bring the kids out without a bimini top :o ) and partly cloudy for about an hour. While fixing up my son's rod for panfishing my wife, Shelly, christened the new boat with its first bass and sadly only bass of the day. She caught it on a texas rigged Bonehead Black and Red ring worm. She had a couple nibbles on the same bait prior to landing the bass. We had to cut the trip short due to a random blast of gnarly wind and rain. Kids didn't seem to enjoy the waves as much as the adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Lake Talquin 8-8-2015

Post by DixieReb »

Talquin can get very rough when it's windy, be careful out there. Glad you made it in safe and caught something.
Yours in the South
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Well you got the "I left the plug out" and "I didn't tie a good knot" issues done and over with. Don't ever "dive" into Talquin again since you are liable to find a stump or log with your head and things should be good to go... a least for a little while :D

The first few years I had a boat with little ones always required a stop at Publix to get chicken wings, the baby girls thought because we ate wings on the boat on their first trip made it a mandatory practice for all trips. They enjoyed flipping the wing bones out into the water.

:thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Good deal. That one of those Mako Skiffs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Always enjoy a post about the family fishing. Congratulations on the new boat……LOOKS GOOD!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

HitNMiss...it sure is!
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

The Whippoorwill Lodge is a good place for a family dinner if you want a nice evening on Talquin. I mostly saltwater fish, but once in a while we launch at their ramp and fish a couple hours in the evening before having a good dinner there. There are not as many standing trees or stumps on that end of the lake either. :thumbup: