Lake Jackson 9-7-2015

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Lake Jackson 9-7-2015

Post by CoastalPirate »

Lake Jackson action on Labor Day! Rastus and I hit the water at 6:50 am off Rhoden Cove. Partly cloudy. Air temp Mid 70's escalating quickly. Water temp unknown. Started off the morning trolling the left side of Jackson. Rastus grabbed his first one on a watermelon fluke. We trolled in Megghinis Arm and I hooked a bass on a black and yellow zoom horney toad...and immediately lost the fish when I went to pull him out of the water...heart wrenching. Bowfin attacks the frog but spits the hook a few minutes later. We then haul into the lily pad jungle to our spot and Rastus lands 2 bass. (1 lb 12 oz and 1lb 13 oz). I lose another bass on my horny toad due to a bad hook set. We then troll some docks near Crowder Rd and Rastus lands 1 bass (1 lb 12 oz) and some kind of panfish. I can't tell what family it belongs to since it is so dark. It has blue shiny spots on it. I finally land a small bass on a fluke when I decide I should use one instead of worms, spinnerbaits, chatter baits, and frogs. All fish were caught on weightless Texas rigged watermelon zoom flukes. Rastus 5 Mike 1. Next time I'm bringing ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
kikstand454

Re: Lake Jackson 9-7-2015

Post by kikstand454 »

Thanks for the report! Nice fish!
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

That panfish looks like a warmouth
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Definitely a warmouth. Used to catch loads of them in Arbuckle Creek when my dad was stationed at the USAF Bombing Range east of Avon Park. Almost as tasty as speckled perch!
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Sweet!! See they are still biting, hope to make it out there this weekend

bgbillybadbass

Post by bgbillybadbass »

Is your boat one of those Mako ProSkiff's with the inverted V hull? The ones they sell at bass pro shop? (Edit: Nevermind i see that it is)

How do you like them? Are they are stable platform to fish from? How to they handle chop?
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

Billybass see my previous Lake Jackson post and scroll to the bottom. Short and skinny: Compared to my previous boat (pelican bass raider) its huge, spacious, fast and well balanced.

The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
callen22

Post by callen22 »

What is the water level at crowder landing?

FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY GARY, YOU TALK ABOUT ARBUCKLE LAKE AND CREEK, I LOVED FISHING THE ARBUCKLE. WE TROLLED THE LAKE WITH SONIC LURES MOST OF THE TIME AND ALWAYS CAUGHT OUT LIMIT OF 2-2/12 SPECKS. THE FISHING BACK IN THE LATE THIRTIES AND EARLY FORTIES WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD. IT WAS NOTHING TO CATCH OUR LIMITS OF 50 EACH OF SPECKS IN ABOUT 2 HOURS. THEN WE WOULD GO DOWN THE CREEK AND CATCH OUR LIMIT OF BASS THAT RANGED FROM 3-5 POUNDS IN ANOTHER HOUR. I HAVE MANY GREAT MEMORIES OF THE GREAT FISHING WE HAD BACK THEN FISHING ALL THE LAKES AND RIVERS IN THAT AREA AS WELL AS THE SOUTHWEST GULF COAST AROUND EVERGLADES CITY.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO