Lake Talquin 9-25, 26, 27-2015

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Lake Talquin 9-25, 26, 27-2015

Post by CoastalPirate »

Hit the mighty Talquin the 25th around 7 am. It was overcast and very windy. The unforeseen cool air got us running for our jackets! Couldn't tell you the water temp but the air fluctuated from 70's-90's all day due to the wind. We fished around goat island and then the teams of 2 went there separate ways in search of the Great Lake Whale. The morning gave us a few fish. The majority of bass were caught on pink trick worms with one bass getting caught on a rattle trap and another small bass being caught on a Texas rigged white zoom speed worm.
Sept 26! Our record day! The morning started out cool and before we knew it the fog was upon us. So much fog! But I was able to land a 3 pound 11 oz bass on a black top water popper. Shortly after that we fished Rocky comfort creek and I landed a 2 pound 15 oz bass on a square billed crank bait. All the while the other guys are catching their bass on pink trick worms. After lunch at 2pm we switched boat mates and I headed into a creek directly across from goat island and fished my first school of striped/ hybrid/ white/ sunshine bass ever! It was a fisherman's dream come true. My friend and I caught 4 each and saved 4. It was an amazing spectacle. We caught all of them on a white lipless crank bait and square bill crank bait. The fishing ended shortly after that went in to start filleting. While filleting we saw our other boat fishing goat island. They managed to pick up a few small bass here and there and then a 4 pounder before calling it quits. The 4 pounder was caught on a weightless pink trick worm. There was some fine eating that night. Fried fish and cheese grits.
Sept 27.
We hit the water again around 7am. Air temps in the low 80's. My friend's father in law came out and landed a 3 pounder on a blue sinko and a 2 pounder on some kind of red worm. My boat continuously landed small bass with pink trick worms.
All in all it was an epic trip. We caught over 30 fish this trip (we usually catch around 4) a new record and I got to cross some new species off my fishing bucket list. For those of you who know the difference between striped/hybrid/sunshine/white bass let me know what the difference is because I really can't tell. Enjoy the photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by CoastalPirate on October 3rd, 2015, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
kenfly

Re: Lake Talquin 9-25, 26, 27-2015

Post by kenfly »

Man what an awesome trip!! Y'all did great, those hybrids/stripers are fun to catch and some good eating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crappielimits

Re: Lake Talquin 9-25, 26, 27-2015

Post by crappielimits »

All stripers the one with the faint broken lines probably a white bass. The last one.