Lake Jackson 10-17-15

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

glassbottom

Lake Jackson 10-17-15

Post by glassbottom »

Headed out with my father in law this morning on a last minute trip to check out Jackson.

Was at the boat ramp before dawn, about 6:45 at Rhoden cove. It was cool in the high 50s and a small breeze. Water temp was surprisingly warm about 70 warming up to 72 by the time we left around 11:30.

Early morning bite was nice. FIL caught several on his white weedless/weightless fluke, I hooked up to one or two as well. As the sun got over the horizon I switched to a watermelon fluke but didn't have much luck. Did catch a nice crappie tho.

We had lots of bites, but setting the hook in the grass proved a little tougher than we had experienced before. Seems they were aggressive but quick to spit it out/throw the hook (and we aren't pros by any means).

Saw lots of shad at the ramp and did see some schools running as the sun came up but we didn't have any crankbaits tied on to throw into the "channel" heading out of the ramp.

We finally switched to crankbaits about 10 am and were just running them parallel to the weedlines. Caught a small chain pickerel and a smaller bass before calling it and heading in for lunch.

Nice quick trip and a good bite this morning.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Lake Jackson 10-17-15

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: It's not just you, we fished saltwater Friday and all day the fish bit well but threw the hook countless times. I think they were more curious than anything. :roll:
Yours in the South
glassbottom

Post by glassbottom »

Day 2. We got permission from the wives to do another short trip, so we did. We had lines in at 6:30 ready to go.

They weren't touching the flukes at all today, rather they seemed to be chasing schooling baitfish in the middle of rhodens cove, mostly ambushing from hydrilla.

Bigger bass were caught on strike king square bill crankbaits. I also caught a couple on an old rebel pop-r, as well as a couple on some rattle traps. In total we caught about 10 fish, 8 by the father in law, 2 for me. About half would have been keepers.

Did get one picture today of the biggest catch my father in law pulled in. It's poor quality though. I'll upload it as soon as I get near a computer.

The morning bite was done about 10 and so were we.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Glad to hear they are still biting good, y'all did good for fishing a couple hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk