March 4th & 5th

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Dawg

March 4th & 5th

Post by Red Dawg »

Found a new pond in the National Forest so we decided to try freshwater this weekend. Had no idea if any fish were in the pond or not. Didn't take long for my son to find out. Hooked this nice bass on a crank bait.

[img][IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/drail1071/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7mrorikc.jpeg[/img][/img]

Followed that one with these two plus two more smaller bass.

[img][IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/drail1071/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsftsq8oie.jpeg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/drail1071/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspbmtzkzx.jpeg[/img][/img]

I caught a grand total of 0 using various colored plastic worms. Went back Saturday (After buying a crank bait and rattle trap) but we only managed about 10 small bass. Can't figure out why only the small ones would bite on such a warm beautiful day? Either way it was a great day.
J Holden

Re: March 4th & 5th

Post by J Holden »

That's a good one, it was way better a few years back when it was almost dried up! I used to walk around the edge buzzing a weightless zoom swimmin super fluke on the surface and you could catch 15 of them out of there in an hour or two. Caught a monster warmouth on said fluke out of there too. I think at one point it dried up completely and all the fish died but it looks like it came back quite well. The pond up the hill is very good too at times.
Red Dawg

Post by Red Dawg »

Wow. I can't believe you know where we went just from a few pictures. We tried the pond up the hill yesterday afternoon and didn't catch anything. Kind of doubted any fish were in it. Sounds like there are. Extremely hard to fish with whatever the vegetation is (sorry I'm new to Fl). I've found 3 really good ponds in the forest, and about 10-12 with no fish or dried up. I don't understand why there are so many dried up ponds. In the year and seven months I've been here rain has been abundant. Of course middle Ga where I moved from had the same problem with ponds and wells drying up. We catch and release so they are still there.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

The answer to the vegetation is a zoom horny toad and a 4/0 hook. Preferrebly with 15+ lb test or braid.

Nice fish! Thanks for the report!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

That was a good report and you left the fish for someone else to also catch. That was good! I would have ate um :lick:
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP