Lake Miccosukee mystery

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Triedandfailed

Lake Miccosukee mystery

Post by Triedandfailed »

Went out to the dam on Lake Miccosukee at highway 90 today, originally in search of a geocache. However my attention was immediately redirected to the hundreds of fish congregating on the surface of the water on the south side of the dam. Catfish, bream, gar, specks, a few bass and a huge bowfin were all pointing their mouths to the surface. The folks fishing on the boardwalk said they had been like that for hours and wouldn't bite anything. What was the deal?

Some theories were entertained, including low oxygen levels, spawning, and lots of forage near the surface. I personally subscribe the the low oxygen theory, as I've never seen so many catfish on the surface at one time. Bream would be one thing, but the cats surprised me.

I was also taken aback by the sheer number of fish on that side of the dam. In one corner of pond there was a writhing mass of catfish with their backs out of the water, and some were pretty darn big. I have pictures, but my phone camera is so bad I doubt their worth posting.

Anyone have an idea what was up? It would be a shame for all of those fish to asphyxiate.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Lake Miccosukee mystery

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I WOULD SAY A LACK OF OXYGEN, IT WILL GET WORSE UNLESS IT RAINS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Hogfish24336

Post by Hogfish24336 »

o2 is also my opinion. I have a 2 acre pond at my house and the fish do that in the summer when we go weeks without much rain. Usually doesn't happen until July/August when the water temp is extremely warm. Also lake mic has so man Lilly pads and vegetation on the bottom that takes air out of the water so it doesn't decompose as much as healthier lakes.
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

It is like that everytime the water comes over the damn for a period of time and then stops. It has to be an oxygen issue. They will all be gator and turtle bait if we dont get some rain but this happens every year there.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

fishdux wrote:It is like that everytime the water comes over the damn for a period of time and then stops. It has to be an oxygen issue. They will all be gator and turtle bait if we dont get some rain but this happens every year there.
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner. When the lake rises and goes over the spillway the fish get pulled over too and don't have anywhere to go. that side of 90 is usually a mere wet spot if that most of the year. It is rolling over right now after Colin. Nothing new and happens every time the water goes over. Same thing happens on the N end but the fish go into the basin and live.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life