Record-class bowfin lurk in Refuge canals

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Re: Record-class bowfin lurk in Refuge canals

Post by BloodyChamp »

FTReelty wrote:fry them cypress trout up-erything good in hot grease!
Lol cypress trout. We call them swamp bass.
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

I have never seen or caught one.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I can fix that for you. Guaranteed hookups in the swampy canal across from the East River Pool at St Marks Refuge. Use mudminnows and 30lb braid on a stout catfish rod, and keep your fingers away from their business end.
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Not real sure I want to see or catch one. I don't see many people raving about eating them. You eat them?
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

I caught about a 6 lb one in Newnan Lake in Gainesville 10 years ago. I tried making fish patties out of it. Just couldn't get past the total mush texture. Never tied a ladyfish they are just to good a bait to even think twice. One ladyfish will get you many more GOOD fish in return.
ragansm1

Post by ragansm1 »

Mix the meat up with onion,egg, and bread crumbs. Make into patties like salmon patties. Fry in pan with oil. Not bad
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

There’s actually one mounted behind the buffet in the Mayo Cafe. :lol:
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

AugustusMccrae wrote:There’s actually one mounted behind the buffet in the Mayo Cafe. :lol:
Mayo, Fl? I've been in that cafe and that tackle shop/pecan cracking shop :lol: :lol: :lol: We ran the pecan outfit over in Monticello for years and years and did alot of work with them. As for the cafe, I don't remember the Bowfin but that might be because the last time I was in there my poor Grandfather (who was experiencing the first stages of dementia in hindsight) almost got us killed lol!