Fishing in Tallahassee?

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Geno67

Fishing in Tallahassee?

Post by Geno67 »

Is there a resource that lists public fishing in the city? I thought I would fish Lake Ella since it's just down the road from our new place but I don't think the city allows it. Are there any places that do allow it?

Not looking for honey holes - just resources.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing in Tallahassee?

Post by silverking »

Lake Piney-Z, off Connor Blvd. and Apalachee Parkway, allows fishing. Lakes Jackson, Talquin and Miccosukee have fishing areas.

Good source: http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/sites-forecast/
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Thanks! Can someone move this to the regular fishing section? I put it in the wrong place by accident.
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

Fishing for ducks in Lake Ella? I wonder if there are any fish in it.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

There are fish there but also signs saying no fishing. :(
STMU

Post by STMU »

To my knowledge, there is no law making the 'act' of fishing illegal. Trespassing definitely YES but fishing, NO. I've seen these signs all over the place posted mostly by city and county governments and HOA's. I am always amazed by this, and can only assume that since these are public places they can not put up any trespassing signs and choose no fishing signs because they feel it will deter people.

I have had quite a few run-ins the past. Usually, it's upset HOA members and I leave because I don't feel like arguing it. However, on 2 separate occasions, I've had HOA member call the cops on me. Both times I was on water management district property adjacent to their homes and I politely asked the officers if they could show me the statute where it says fishing is illegal (knowing full well it doesn't exist). I then provided them another statute that protects anglers and hunters rights against harassment. Both times they told the owner I was well within my rights to fish and to leave me alone.

While I am not suggesting you push the envelope here, you would want to confirm that the property is indeed public (which can be done by looking on the property appraisers map online). The statue below may help you or other forum members who have run into this problem in the past. I'd suggest keeping a copy on you as the officer will most likely not take the time to look it up for you! Most all states have this statute, some more comprehensive than others. A friend of mine in Virginia ran into this situation while deer hunting this season with an irate homeowner and the officers actually charged the women with 2 misdemeanors!

379.104 Right to hunt and fish.—The Legislature recognizes that hunting, fishing, and the taking of game are a valued part of the cultural heritage of Florida and should be forever preserved for Floridians. The Legislature further recognizes that these activities play an important part in the state’s economy and in the conservation, preservation, and management of the state’s natural areas and resources. Therefore, the Legislature intends that the citizens of Florida have a right to hunt, fish, and take game, subject to the regulations and restrictions prescribed by general law and by s. 9, Art. IV of the State Constitution.
History.—s. 8, ch. 2002-46; s. 8, ch. 2008-247.
Note.—Former s. 372.002.

379.105 Harassment of hunters, trappers, or fishers.—
(1) A person may not intentionally, within a publicly or privately owned wildlife management or fish management area or on any state-owned water body:
(a) Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish, game, or nongame animals by another.
(b) Attempt to disturb fish, game, or nongame animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.
(2) Any person who violates this section commits a Level Two violation under s. 379.401.
History.—s. 2, ch. 90-170; s. 27, ch. 2006-304; s. 9, ch. 2008-247.
Note.—Former s. 372.705.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Tallahassee area has numerous good fishing spots without putting up with irate property owners. Lake Hall, Lake Jackson and Lake Talquin come to mind. Lake Iamonia and Miccossukee when it is not duck season. Summerbrooke and Killearn Lakes both have some decent lakes if you know somebody who lives there and can get permission.

You can argue homeowners and riparian rights issues if you like, but that sort of ruins the whole relaxing aspect of fishing.
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

I'm not looking to have my fishing messed up by people who are mad at me. That would ruin it for me.

I would just like a place to go that's close to make a few casts when I have a few extra minutes.
STMU

Post by STMU »

Geno67, couldn't agree more. Nothing will ruin a relaxing day fishing than angry homeowners. I used to live in South Florida. Loved fishing but didn't own a boat. With millions of people and limited access down there, it wasn't a matter of 'if' but 'when' you would have a run-in with an upset owner or the cops. I always made sure I was on public property and would avoid confrontation (All kinds of crazy out there!). Sometimes things just happen, and when they do it helps to be prepared!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

O good grief can't ya'll just be nice and explain to the person who is obviously new in town that Lake Ella is basically a cement pond with tame bream and ducks in it and be done with it. Save him the embarrassment lol!
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Head out to the Apalachicola National forest. Decent fishing from the bank on lake more, lake munson Dog lake, and many others(you could have your own lake out there).

It's a short drive and there's noone out there to bother you about it.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

STMU, What do you think about this?..

There's a large pond, fed by a small creek, in Tallahassee near Lakeshore Drive and I-10, just north of the Movies 8. I have observed some beastly bass and big bream patrolling the shallows, but never fished it, as signs all around say "No trespassing by order of North Florida Water Management District." Driving me crazy that 2 miles from my house is great, albeit off-limits fishing. I am considering squeezing my smallest kayak into the creek that feeds the pond, so if I get caught, I can say I never set foot on the pond banks, where the signs are posted. Your opinion?
STMU

Post by STMU »

Hey GaryDroze, sounds too tempting not to leave it alone! The only time I have ever had problems on district property was from the homeowners next door. Cops could care less, and would probably ask how they were biting before giving you hard time (again, unless someone calls). Since it's beside a movie theater, I'd doubt anyone would care. Launching from the creek is probably fine, and while I wouldn't endorse anyone to break the law, I am always a fan of bending it a bit! :-D

Good luck if you go! Hope those bass are nice and stupid since no one fishes it!
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

The absolute worst thing likely to happen to you fishing on water management property is that you would be asked to leave. I would not sweat it in the slightest. Besides, who's even going to be back there besides some homeless guys? No one who minds you fishing at any rate.