Gator Hunting With The Bman

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Gator Hunting With The Bman

Post by big bend gyrene »

Not exactly a "fish"ing report, but did involve the use of a fishing rod in freshwater for an hour or so.

Second episode of "The World of Barry Bevis" -- painful as it is for me to share (still recovering five days later from both minor wounds and the mental ones created from Bman chuckling at me when things were actually going down... literally).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dssGWDKtVM[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
RiverRunner

Re: Gator Hunting With The Bman

Post by RiverRunner »

Awesome video, as always. How's your hand doing? Healing up OK?
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Saw that on the tube... funny but painful at the same time. Beer in a wound :o
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

Good for you for posting this. I would’ve edited that out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
big bend gyrene

RiverRunner wrote:Awesome video, as always. How's your hand doing? Healing up OK?
Finger is just about completely healed now, RiverRunner. Doc (the Mrs.) wanted to throw a few stitches in it but she happened to have a single vial of liquiband medical super glue at the house so I used it instead of risking her getting too much enjoyment jabbing me. She's awesome at keeping shots / needlework from hurting much when on the job, but I keep her aggravated enough I worried she might not take it so easy on me. She also put me on a course of antibiotics just to be on the safe side... not sure if it's working or not as I've developed a strong hankering for rotten beef lung the past few days... :wink: :lol:
Last edited by big bend gyrene on September 6th, 2018, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

zload wrote:Saw that on the tube... funny but painful at the same time. Beer in a wound :o
Zload, guess it shows I'm not the Doc in the family. :oops: Thought maybe the alcohol content would help serve as a disinfectant... but turns out that between relatively low alchohol content and ingredients that can actually feed bacteria (yeast, carbs, etc) it's not recommended whereas alcohol 80 proof and up can be quite a bit more effective. Guess Bman needs to be drinking the stronger stuff next time. :beer:
bbb

Post by bbb »

My gator hunts with B were never this exciting.

Looks like I was taking the wrong person if I was looking for a good laugh.

You do know that line you were pulling on was attached to a gators mouth don’t you.
big bend gyrene

bbb wrote:You do know that line you were pulling on was attached to a gators mouth don’t you.
Wish we'd been quicker to put a heavier harpoon line in it, but instead got pulled across the pond a couple of times before we were able to pull him up. Line on my reel was relatively light braid and as we've got a ton of hidden stumps I was worried we might lose him anytime. Wasn't really that scared while digging through the lily pads as we'd seen him run back out of them into open water... was determined to do what I could to keep the light line from breaking so did what had to be done.

Above shared, just me or did I seem to get stuck with all the work detail duty? Bman sitting down sipping on beer while I'm directed to steer the boat, hand pull weeds, throw the harpoon, tag the gator, and load his boat in the dark. And yet he gets the fun of the kill shot. Not that this surprises anyone who knows Bman... :roll:
bbb

Post by bbb »

I was strictly the boat driver on our trips. Made him do all the dirty work. Sounds like he was a good student.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

That little gator would be a snack for the ones that patrol the Refuge creeks
big bend gyrene

GaryDroze wrote:That little gator would be a snack for the ones that patrol the Refuge creeks
Know you speak the truth, Gary, but I put in for Jefferson tags so I could harvest off the pond we live on.

At 25 acres it has a few gators in it but no crazy monsters. Neighbor likes regularly taking his black labs down to swim in the pond so one of the motivators for getting the tags was doing a bit of community service in keeping the resident population from getting too big.