Surprise Catch

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Surprise Catch

Post by woodstock52 »

Managed to unhook this huge Carp at the boat. He hit my Rubber Worm like a train. It was an epic 10 minute fight. I tried to lift it out of the water with my digital scale, but the fish came off with only 1/2 it's body out of the water, & the read out at 28.9lbs. I bet it would go 35 + & was close to 4' long. I was using a 10lbs mono line & no leader with a Shakespeare combo, In the current of the upper St Marks River. He carried me 100 yards down river
Attachments
Not the Bass I was expecting
Not the Bass I was expecting
Red Beard

Re: Surprise Catch

Post by Red Beard »

That’s wild, never caught one on artificial. Bet it was thrilling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Nice. :thumbup: Looks to be a white amur (grass carp). I didn't know they were in the St, Marks. They do get huge. I have them in a pond and my grandsons have caught them well over 30 lbs on crickets, worms and bread so they do eat more than grass.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Oh man, nice catch!!! Especially on artificials!

Years ago bigphishie and I were fishing a lake about an hour or so west of Tally and came up on a bed of dozens of 30lb grass carp. We couldn't get them to eat but vowed to return one day to lay the hammer to'em. Really cool catch!

Sent from the KetchupPacket
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

I have some in my pond and catch them pretty regularly on topwater mini torpedos. Tons of fun on an ultralight and 6 lb test. Mine are only around 15 lbs though. They are also super wary fish so there is the technical challenge of sight fishing them. I keep trying to get one on the fly but I can’t get close enough. Hope all is well Chris! Stay healthy my friend!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Upper like above Newport or upper like above Natural Bridge? In the wide part of the river way above Natural Bridge there are 2 ginormous Carps that I’ve seen together more than once when they water was clear. I’m guessing they’re a couple of hybrids that somebody let loose because I haven’t seen any smaller ones.
woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Post by woodstock52 »

Above Newport, but below the Rise. In the Old Magnolia Rd area. (This would be below the Natural Bridge & about a mile below the Boil) There are several Big Ones that stay in the area (Maybe 30 fish) They are usually not all together.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I wish I could go up there :smt088 :smt088 :smt088