Lake Jackson 5/30/20

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

glassbottom

Lake Jackson 5/30/20

Post by glassbottom »

Went over to Jackson yesterday.

The lake is pretty low compared to recent years at least 5-7 feet down below full pool. The dry spring definitely didnt help.

Rhoden cove is pretty much unlaunchable for anything over than a kayak or small john boat. and the road work leading up to it probably doesnt help.

Anyway put in at Sunset and ran over to the larger body between Rhoden/Fords Arm and Crowder/Megghinis. Water temp was about 30. Theres heavy hydrilla there so really didnt have to do much of any bank fishing. Didnt even have the urge given the water temp (80 F). With the hydrilla was pretty thick and in many spots, to the water surface. It was pretty much ambush alley. Caught 5-6 <2 Lb bass and even a crappie. Some on a pop-r most of the others on a weedless fluke (white and arkansas shad) pretty much right out in the middle.

Ran back up and fished a couple of the spots north of Faulk landing. The water there was definately 2-3 degrees cooler where the grass seemed to be more milfoil that hydrilla and the water was a bit deeper. Caught another couple small bass <2lb on the arkansas shad color.

Normally wouldn't fish Jackson this late in the year, but just wanted a quick/short trip without a line at a boat ramp.
dropaline

Re: Lake Jackson 5/30/20

Post by dropaline »

nice report,thanks
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

When the lake gets real low, you can still launch at Crowder Landing. You have to drive your truck down the ramp and turn left, then back into a deep hole that is near the shore. It is white sand, so you normally don't spin down trying to come back out.

- Steve Stinson
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

When the lake gets real low, you can still launch at Crowder Landing. You have to drive your truck down the ramp and turn left, then back into a deep hole that is near the shore. It is white sand, so you normally don't spin down trying to come back out.

- Steve Stinson
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

Exactly what Stinson said, I rode down to Crowder landing for a look yesterday and it looks like it would not be a problem. :thumbup:
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Nice! Good report. Me and my son also went out there sat morn as well, we had baseball practice at 11, so only had a few hrs in the morn. Launched at Rhoden cove and you right not many can launch there endless it has a flat bottom, so no prob for us in the Seaark tunnel, like you man we did good, I caught 10 up to about 4lb and my son got 2. Also lost about 10-12 due mostly to pads and equipment not strong enough to get them out, they run right to those pads and if you don’t get them away quick your in trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk