FLINT RIVER

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dewyafish

FLINT RIVER

Post by dewyafish »

No one has posted anything about freshwater in a while so I thought I'd drop a note and let everyone know that now is the time to visit your local rivers for hot topwater action.
The Flint has been exceptional the last few weeks with the topwater bite lasting all day.
Buzzbaits, spooks, soft plastic jerkbaits,torpedoes, and shallow running crakbaits like -1's, Rapala, Bang-O-Lure or anything with a crawfish pattern and wobble will draw strikes readily from these aggressive swiftwater dwellers.
The fish I speak of is the shoal bass :D They inhabit the Flint, Chattahoochee, Appalach, Florida, Chipola riveers and thier tributaries so get the jonboats and canoes out and take a child with you.
It doesnt take a lot of skill to work a Pop-R or torpedo style bait and the look on a child's face after a topwater strike is priceless. :o
BE SAFE
Dewey
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Dewey, this "child" you recommend we take with us.
Do we fish it on the surface, or as a shallowrunner ?
Your advice is much appreciated. :D
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Nothing like a top water strike sounds like you have had a lot of fun fishing it......is the water cooling of up that way Dewy I have never fished up in northen Florida or Georgia......do you do any striper fishing thats something I would love to do sometime......
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

The stipers and hybrid bass, you probably know them in FL as Sunshine bass, make a run around Thanksgiving in the middle Flint.
I think it's a little earlier at the Woodruff dam.
Those things will really stretch your string.

Cranfield I'm gonna' tell your wife and daughter about your comment on fishing with children :wink:
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Now , Striper fishing is something I would dearly love to do.

Dewey, when I get your wifes email address, I will make sure she gets a copy of the "golf" thread from the FS site. :D

You can,t scare me, I,ve been threatened by professionals. :o
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

I'll have you know, Sir, that anything I post on a public forum is open to the scrutiny of everyone, including MY WIFE.

Every word I typed is the pure unadulterated truth!!
(Especially the part about me being a skilled player :P )

BTW I'll show you a picture of my handgun if I have to!:D:D:D:D:D
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Striper is a common name for striped bass and only has one P.

Are you still intersested? :)
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Dewey, I spelt it with only one "p".
I am old enough to have a "p" on my own. :D

I read a US forum http://www.stripersonline.com/ which is sea fishing on the East Coast for stripers.
Seems very similar to the way I fish for our Sea Bass, except the Stripers run much bigger.
Its very confusing to me how they can be both a saltwater fish and a freshwater fish.

Its something thats high on my list of things I have to try.