Advice on bottom machine

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DriftingSun

Advice on bottom machine

Post by DriftingSun »

Hey guys, wanted to tap into the collective wisdom of you fine gentleman (and others) :-D .

The transducer on my Raytheon L265 fish finder broke. I can replace it for about $85. This unit is about 10 years old so I'm seriously questioning the wisdom of replacing the transducer or scrapping the unit for something newer.

The guys at West Marine say scrap it but they are obviously in the business of selling new gear. I'd prefer your opinions. I know Raytheon made some higher end stuff but with the age I'm leaning towards replacing.

Not looking to spend a bundle, 4 kids with one due for major heart surgery soon means this cannot be a financial priority, need to get this fixed or replaced fairly cheaply. As most of our time is spent on the flats with occasional offshore trips (never exceeding 100ft depths), I would imagine spending a ton would be foolish anyhow.

Going on a 21ft SeaPro CC (deep V, not the bayboat)

Any and all advice much appreciated, thanks in advance

-DS
slayer

Re: Advice on bottom machine

Post by slayer »

lowrance HDS-7 gen 2 (with all new updates) and the new LSS transducer....

others may recommend Humminbird of a comparable model...

my personal preference is the lowrance line...

I also heard that lowrance has a new elite ....http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/ ... en-us.aspx

gps/2D/DSI.699.00
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

Ebryant

Re: Advice on bottom machine

Post by Ebryant »

I think I would replace the transducer. You have a unit that is working and you know how to read it. Just be sure it's the transducer problem and not the unit.