Salt Cured Shrimp bait

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

HaHaWader

Re: Salt Cured Shrimp bait

Post by HaHaWader »

Just an addition that is not necessary, but I have found makes a HUGE difference.

I either head out and net my own shrimp, or a purchase LARGE live ones from local bait shop. I keep them alive until I get home and then pack them in chushed ice and freeze them. Then follow all the steps you mentioned.

Using fresh shrimp for salt curing has given me 20% more success. It could be smell, color, et cetera... I really have no idea, but I do know that over the years using the fresh shrimp has made a huge difference when I fish - Good Luck!

Off the subject, but I have been recently using a Bait Chasing Rig I copied from my Bass fishing days - I have used a variety of 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 jigs as the chasee, and have been hugely successful.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Chalk you bringing any of these scrimps Friday? :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

BD,
You mean to say you and Chalk aren't going purist with all that money on the line? :-D
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

silverking wrote:BD,
You mean to say you and Chalk aren't going purist with all that money on the line? :-D
No scrimps and no bait - only secret faux baits and old faithful faux baits :-D
Just Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by Just Fish »

I do basically the same, but I put my left over shrimp in the salt in a butter tub in the freezer. Just like you say they turn into shrimp jerky and are great for using as bait whole or for tipping a jig.
Reel Navy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Navy »

Chalk wrote:
No scrimps and no bait - only secret faux baits and old faithful faux baits :-D
Is that secret code for "Gulps"? :-D :-D
Dear Lord, please let me be the kind of person my dog thought I was .....
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

No stinky baits for us SK. I was just poking Chalk for a scrimp post he made back in '03. My how we've grown.
GULP! free since 1970.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I hear ya! I'll take my DOA shrimp and Capt. Mike's spoons any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Good luck in the tourney.
flarambler

Post by flarambler »

Wow...posted a few years back but still something new to try....I'm new to the site and came across this one...I'm going to try one upping it with chicken livers to see if it will toughen them up enough to be able to fish with easier...just put a batch on to cure today and if I can stand to open the jar in a couple of weeks (well away from the house) I will let you know how they come out...Thx again guys...lots of good info on here
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Chalk still has his first batch. They should be good and cured by now.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

oh man, a gem from the archives.

I hope BD and Chalk have a good explanation for this.... :smt005
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
flarambler

Post by flarambler »

Jumptrout....did he try it with the livers or just the shrimp....I have had several others that have come to mind that I want to try...including baitfish or maybe even combinations to increase the scent factor
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

flarambler wrote:Jumptrout....did he try it with the livers or just the shrimp....I have had several others that have come to mind that I want to try...including baitfish or maybe even combinations to increase the scent factor
Please tell be that flarambler is a Birddog pseudonym
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
flarambler

Post by flarambler »

I live in florida and have a strange habit of finding roads I have never been on and just rambling along looking as I go...hence the name...Usually find something interesting before I get to the end...or my wife hits me and tells me to get back on track...
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Holy cow! That one did come from the "Cold Case" file. We were all still little children when that one came out. That was just about the time the legend of the 30" Trout I caught on one of mine and Chalk's fishing trips began. :wink:
Tanks for da memory, flarambler! Speaking of Rambler....look behind the good looking little boy holding the catfish. Taken across the street from Shields Marina, where a boathouse now stands in the mid 1960's.
cat.jpg
cat.jpg (23.94 KiB) Viewed 8365 times
salute2
Semper Fi