Catching flounder

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cotton

Catching flounder

Post by cotton »

I've noticed folks are starting to catch a few flounder. How about offering up your tips for catching flounder.

What is your favorite lure and how do you fish it?

What type of locations do you look for?
Aquamaholic

Re: Catching flounder

Post by Aquamaholic »

Not an expert by any means, but I have been catching a few flounder while drifting the flats for Trout. Mainly with Rootbeer/Chart. Jigs. Fishing it slow and bouncing it off the bottom. I have also cought a few back in creeks using the same method.
cotton

Post by cotton »

Thanks all for the advice:

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

:smt004 I think most prefer the "gig" lure to the "jig" :-D it looks like yer gettin the hang of it though :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CROCKER

Post by CROCKER »

I have hung a few here and there fishing for reds with a spinnerbait. I read an article the other day that said use the same size spinner as for reds but change out the grub for a smaller bucktail jig and fish at near the bottom.

make sure you have a net. notice the hung part above. the lift and swing method want work with flounder.
cotton

Post by cotton »

CROCKER wrote:I have hung a few here and there fishing for reds with a spinnerbait. I read an article the other day that said use the same size spinner as for reds but change out the grub for a smaller bucktail jig and fish at near the bottom.
Thanks Crocker, I'll give this a try next time out. I'm getting close. I'm averaging about 1 hook up a trip now. Here is this weeks:

Redslayer

Post by Redslayer »

Yes, jigging on the bottom has produced excellent results for me. I like using live shrimp on the jig head, but my buddy seems to catch more flounder with his chartreuse Gulps...
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Yes, they like a jig fished close to the bottom. And sandy spots, if you see any be sure and fish them. I have caught a few around dock pilings, right up next to the dock.
Yours in the South