Another braid trick.

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Another braid trick.

Post by Rhettley »

When the casting length of line starts to get bad and you've trimmed all you can without making the spool short you can simply reverse the line. The line that has been buried will be practically new still.
To reverse the line tie the end to something and walk off all the braid. You will need a large grassy area to do this. One you get the braid off walk back to the starting point and tie the line on and respool it. You can get twice the life out of your braid this way.
Just never attempt this with a dog around, particularly a lab. My old lab Katie got in the braid one day and I had 200 yards of braid wrapped around her, her collar, and every bush and tree in the yard before I realized what had happened.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Another braid trick.

Post by SS-342 »

You are right on!

If you had completely fill your spool with braid, after reversing the line, a forth of it can be cut and tied to the bottom of the spool. You would then be using the second and third forth of the line or middle part which should be good for another year or more and the two used ends would be on the bottom of the spool. This procedure would give you four years of line use. At sixteen dollars for 150 yards of braid divided by four years would be four dollars a year line cost.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Leads to the question - how long is too long on the age of braid under normal use and storage conditions?
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

I have some braid in use going on five years and can't tell the difference from new except color loss. Major loss of line for me is the
occasional wind knot that must be cut away. I have no problem splinting Power Pro with a uni to uni knot.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.