Recycled Dead Shrimp (Power-Bait)

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Recycled Dead Shrimp (Power-Bait)

Post by mjsigns »

I wanted to share this noteworthy tip along the same lines as the salt brine shrimp tip. Over the past several years, I bought some frozen dead shrimp at Jerry's to use as treats on my lures. Most of the time I never used all the shrimp so they were carefully wrapped, bagged and re-bagged and stowed, and carefully hidden, in the family freezer at the house. A couple weeks ago, I found several partial bags in the freezer. If my wife had found them, I would have HEARD about it ,in no uncertain terms, and she would have PROMPTLY disposed of them as she absolutely HATES the smell. SO I find about four-five partial bags of these dead shrimp, orange/black and stinky (even frozen you can smell'em real good). So I defrosted these babies in some salt that I had used to create and earlier batch of brine shrimp. I'll call it re-cycling your dead shrimp. Any way, so three weeks ago, I mix these dead stinky shrimp in with the salt and don't refrigerate them, just let the salt do it's job (magic). After a few days these babies really started to stank, I mean really stank (but were not rotting, and had no maggots), even the dogs were afraid of them. Gave the dead shrimp and salt-brine a good stir yesterday and I am letting them continue to cure. I used some fishing last week and now I am sold on them. We are talking, the worst smelling shrimp I have ever used for bait and WOW, the fish were really going after them. Now the wife is happy, (no more stinky shrimp in the freezer), I'm happy, got some shrimp that are just this side of spent nuclear fuel rods, and are nothing less than power-bait treats, and I don't have to keep them inside the house or even refrigerated. I will post a picture later so you can see for yourself. (Don't throw out them dead stinky shrimps, re-use them, you'll be glad you did.) :wink:

I used the same brine curing process I did for a previous batch of fresh shrimp, just re-used the same salt brine..... check out the Brine shrimp thread (started by Chalk :thumbup: ) in the Tips forum at :

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... f=8&t=1500
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Re: Recycled Dead Shrimp (Power-Bait)

Post by mjsigns »

Picture as promised.....
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Interesting. I'm going to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

You picture shows the shrimp in the shell. I would prefer the shrimp to be in the shell. Chalks instructions were to cure them meat only. I wonder if this process works either way?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Good observation Joe :thumbup: I left them in the shell for my own reasons (they stank really bad), I am of the belief that it works even with the shell left on. I got the idea (of shell-on) from the brined shrimps you can get at Walmart, they have the shells on them on the shelf.... I am going fishing today and will give another report :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Ok Here is the scoop. Tried the "stank-shrimp" while fishing inshore 4/26/2013 report at :http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =4&t=33784. I was very pleased as I was getting hits on every cast. The stank shrimp with the "shell-on" worked like magic. I was catching three for every one my partner caught. Partner was using the standard brine shrimp w/o the stank and shell. After a period of time we both started using the stank bait. This is an effective "morning, and early afternoon bait, The brine stank shrimp stayed on the hook like a gulp. Got multiple casts and fish without having to replace the bait. At times it appeared that the trout were competing for the bait, and the big trout were the takers. I will definitely continue to use this recipe with the dead shrimp again as it seemed to be the "ticket". Next I am going to try to do the same brine treatment with some raw mullet. This should also be a big winner, but again we'll have to see.

Don't throw away them old frost bitten stinky dead shrimp from last years fishing trips. Recycle, Re-use and become a more successful fisherman. :thumbup:
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Sounds like it's time to buy some and make some brine before they get old!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

IMO, the point is to never throw your dead shrimp away because they can be brined and they are great treats for your gulps or other lures. I would not use them late in the afternoon because the flat heads also like them, that's why I would recommend them to be used in the Morning up till around 1400 hours, then switch use your regular brine shrimp as treats. Nothing really beats live shrimp, or fresh cut live baits pinfish, lady fish, when (or if) you don't have any of those, go to your brine shrimp. (you'll be glad you saved them old dead frozen shrimp from last year) :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Hey All -

Found this clip about, "the importance of scent", even if they are talking about Gulp Alive (TM) , the stank shrimp is running on the same principal, "the importance of scent". Here you go :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpD8JRIsrsY[/video]

Or you can go directly to you tube and see it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpD8JRIsrsY