Cleaning Long-nosed Gar

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cotton

Re: Cleaning Long-nosed Gar

Post by cotton »

When you have a bunch of lures you don't mind losing. With these guys you'll lose lures fishing straight braid. Kind of like fishing for Spanish Mackerel with mono.

J Holden

Post by J Holden »

crappielimits wrote:Just don't mess with Gar eggs they are the most toxic poison to humans from an animal in North America.
Uh, no.

You'll get sick if you eat them for a few days, that's about it. I'm pretty sure respiratory paralysis and death from eating an improperly prepared pufferfish is way worse than being sick for a few days.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Though, some poisonous puffer fish have been caught in the Titusville are in 2002. The U.S. Pufferfish have not been proven to be toxic. Wisely, Florida fish and game banned all consumption of pufferfish. Fish toxins, have very limited research and many cases are treated for symptoms and never reported. Studies have shown rapid fatality is in lab mice from ingesting gar eggs. The poison gar ichthyootoxin is thought to be protein based but some think it could at some point become hydrogen sulfide or a cyanide based poison. Ingesting the gar egg poison has proven to get you hours to days of a severe food type poisoning. Though, have an open wound and getting it into your bloodstream is said to be instantly fatal at the proper ppm. I watched a report a few years back on North American Poisonsous animals and it struck my curiosity when they spoke of alligator gars being most poisonous. So I did some research and really didn't find much. It was definitive enough for me not to mess with these fish anymore. I love me, so why take a chance. I like to think I'm the Adam who had since enough not to eat the apple.
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

Like Redd Man many-many years ago when I was a 16 year old kid,I was fishing with some buddys on one of the canals out in the everglades.We stopped to talk to a black family to see what they were catching.They had a fire going and a couple of pretty big gar, belly split open and laying on their backs in the coals.We naturally asked what the heck they were doing and mama told us to hang around for a few minutes.She took the fish off the fire and slammed them down on a clean piece of plywood,they broke apart and they started pulling pure white meat off them-told us to try it-we did,they were pretty good,smoking hot,reminded me of shark meat-a little dense,chewy,and pretty darn good.I wouldn't go after them for food normally-but if necessary,they would work.