Pat McGriff's fishing tips.

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Pat McGriff's fishing tips.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Does anyone know of there are links to his articles "fishing with Pat" that he used to do in woods n water? Those articles really turned my "fishing" into more "catching" when I started flats fishing. Would be great if people could go on here and read them. I think it would really help others that struggle like I did. Who am I kidding I still struggle sometimes. I especially loved the ones on not running through someone's drift and how to rig for the different species. Hope someone has links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
milto
Site Sponsor

Re: Pat McGriff's fishing tips.

Post by milto »

I'm not sure about his articles, but I do know he is our guest speaker for our club meeting (NFGFC) on 3/2/17 at Beef's on T'ville Rd. 7pm. Always a great time!!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Maybe someone had the old woods n water magazines with the articles that they could post up pics of them. So we could read.

mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

He still puts articles in the woods n water every month and the coastal angler magazine
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

mpa_72001 wrote:He still puts articles in the woods n water every month and the coastal angler magazine
. Yeah he does fishing reports with a lure recommendation, but the fishing with pat articles had a ton of info.

reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Pat McGriff tip of the week, If he's striped and white, he's alright, If he's barred and gold, he's to old. :-D
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I hope ya'll have had better experience with him but every time I have tried to talk to him in person he was an @$$. And I wasn't hunting for info, just general conversation. In my mind if your buisness is the general public you need to be a personable person and he is not. :smt011

Oh and I have heard this from several of his customers.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

flatsbroke22 wrote:I hope ya'll have had better experience with him but every time I have tried to talk to him in person he was an @$$. And I wasn't hunting for info, just general conversation. In my mind if your buisness is the general public you need to be a personable person and he is not. :smt011

Not to start anything,but what does this post have anything to do with the thread ? Pat's cool !! :smt004
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

flatsbroke22 wrote:I hope ya'll have had better experience with him but every time I have tried to talk to him in person he was an @$$. And I wasn't hunting for info, just general conversation. In my mind if your buisness is the general public you need to be a personable person and he is not. :smt011

Don't feel bad, I was cleaning a PILE of fish I had caught at Keaton one day with a friend of mine and he busts into the cleaning house uninvited and starts to give me advice on how to clean fish. He had interrupted a story my bud was telling and my bud informed him that more than likely the two of us had cleaned more fish than he had. After he left, I learned a new term. My bud called him a sexual intellectual. A _________ know it all. :smt005

Now, I've never fished with the man, but I know those who have had great trips with him. When I read his stuff, it was obvious that he knows his stuff, just not all of it! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Let me tell you - Outspoken is not always bad. Shortly after I founded the NFGFC back in 2000, I went to a FWC meeting where the discussion revolved around manatees, idle zones, and no-boat zones. They were investigating the possibilities of starting these zones up here in the Panhandle like they have in South FL. The first time I saw Capt. Pat was at that meeting. He was red-faced, mad as hell, and giving them a fit. Still today, you don't see any of these no motor zones up here, and Pat is largely responsible for that. After the meeting, when Pat calmed down enough I thought it was safe to approach him, I went over and asked him to come speak at our new fishing club. Pat came and packed the house at the next Beef - O - Brady's meeting, and he's been back each year since then.

Yup, he's loud and opinionated, but if you can listen past that, you may learn something. His years on the water have made him very wise regarding trout, reds, tides baits, etc. :thumbup:

- Steve Stinson
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

a true fishing character and a local legend. Don't imagine he cares much what others think, as his business seems plenty successful to meet his desired lifestyle. I don't have a desire to fish the way he fishes the majority of the time, but he does crack me up during his presentations. Never been in a boat with him, but he is very generous about sharing both information and donations to the NFGFC.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Ive known Pat for years - have fished offshore with him the on the Woods N Water boat a bunch of times. Learned a ton from him. He's a good guy -just a different personality.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

SHOWBOAT wrote:a true fishing character and a local legend. Don't imagine he cares much what others think, as his business seems plenty successful to meet his desired lifestyle. I don't have a desire to fish the way he fishes the majority of the time, but he does crack me up during his presentations. Never been in a boat with him, but he is very generous about sharing both information and donations to the NFGFC.
Well said. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Billybob

Post by Billybob »

I still see Pat around Keaton every once in awhile. He is like all of us. Showing a little age
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Mr. Pat is kinda like Mr Bo Belamy here in Thomasville. If your polite and respectful he's just as nice as he can be. If you come at him like a smart azz or in a hurry not so much. But I still would like for anyone that has any of the old "Fishing with Pat" articles, To post them here. They were separate from the regular fishing reports. He did a few on etiquette for fishermen I would especially like to see. :-D