Anchor Bag

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Anchor Bag

Post by silverking »

Awhile back someone on another forum posted about a bag to store a skiff anchor. It was padded and formed to fit, but $125. I wasn't happy with the towel or shower mat I had been using to stow my own (Guardian aluminum with stainless chain, snubber, float and short rode). I don't use it often so didn't want to shell out that much for a bag. Someone mentioned neoprene in the post, so I searched on eBay and found several gently-used shorty dive suits that were very reasonable. Bought one from a seller here in Florida for $20 and just took it to Covertime Upholstery to have it modified.

Jan at Covertime cut the arms back and legs off and sewed the seams together with nylon reinforcement for $15. The anchor nestles into the vest with room for the rode, float and chain.

This may not look quite as fancy as the pre-formed version, but it'll do the job nicely for $35 and the money saved will buy plenty of non-ethanol gas, some new plugs or other tackle.
IMG_0790.jpg
IMG_0791.jpg
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
ropeman

Re: Anchor Bag

Post by ropeman »

Looks great! I have been trying to figure out how to store my anchor in something padded and this is a great idea.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Looks great! It makes me think that for a few extra dollars, and still saving some money, the trimmed fabric could be used to make a carrying handle. Maybe at the collar or waist.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Certainly could. Jan gave me the scrap material back. I just won't be carrying mine around much, so a handle isn't really necessary. Mainly I wanted something to cushion against chipping in the hatch/deck and keep all the components together to avoid tangles.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I hope that nice looking anchor doesn't discolor or rust. You know divers pee in their wet suits to keep warm. :-D

Joking aside, great money saving idea. :thumbup:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/