Recent posting problems

Tell me what you think. Do you like the site? Don't like it? Want more stuff? This is your opportunity to make the site work for you.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Recent posting problems

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Recently trying to post or respond to posts has resulted in a INVALID SESSION message saying post again. Also, staying signed on to BBF is a problem. I can switch from one forum to another and get logged out. I continuously check the keep me logged in box. I can be listed in the whose online section and still get a log in screen.
I do not have this problem on any other web site forums I visit. AOL says they do not have a problem and that the problem is with BBF.
I know this is a loaded question,but does anybody care?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I care for what it's worth :lol:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: Recent posting problems

Post by Tom Keels »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Recently trying to post or respond to posts has resulted in a INVALID SESSION message saying post again. Also, staying signed on to BBF is a problem. I can switch from one forum to another and get logged out. I continuously check the keep me logged in box. I can be listed in the whose online section and still get a log in screen.
I do not have this problem on any other web site forums I visit. AOL says they do not have a problem and that the problem is with BBF.
I know this is a loaded question,but does anybody care?
Yes people care. About your problem yes. About what AOL says, no. Trust me when I say I have been trying to solve this problem for a long time and it is not an AOL problem, its not a forum problem, its an AOL + this forum problem. It is has to do with what AOL calls "security". If you have 20 minutes or so I'd be glad to try to explain it to you but here is the gist.

AOL uses rotating proxy IP's that change (quite often) while the AOL user is online. Since phpBB (the forum software) tracks it's users by sessions which are tied to the IP, when AOL changes the IP the session is dropped.

PhpBB version 2.0.22 (the version we just updated to) tightened up the sessions a little, so it is going to cause problems with AOL. Using IE or Firefox remedies some of the problems using AOL, but not all.

I wish there was something I could do, but I can't other than suggest getting another (and frankly a better) ISP than AOL.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Some more info for you, since some probably think it's all Tom's fault (which it is :lol: )

If you do a search on phpbb and invalid sessions on the phpbb community board you will come up with about 100 pages of chat about possible solutions...those solutions include doing things that degrade server security, to making you log in after each session, to saying don't use AOL

In a nut shell it's a software and AOL problem and it has been around since 2002. You would think it would have been resolved by now.

If your bored and want something to do you can read through this board, like I said the suggested fixes cause other problems, so they are not a plausible resolution.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a