Need a bluefish recipe.

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

gwheeler

Need a bluefish recipe.

Post by gwheeler »

Hi all! I caught some bluefish this weekend and was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for them? A co-worker of mine said that they eat them in North Carolina and I thought I would try it.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I won't lie - they're not great. I would just smoke them and make them into fish dip if anything. Either that or crab trap bait. Thats all I can think of.
Knot Tester

Post by Knot Tester »

If you don't eat them within 2 hours... for-get-it. Tastes like week old spam on a sun fried bed of sea weed with extra jellyfish sauce. :smt005
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

IMHO, if you don't bleed them right when you catch them, they are not fit to eat. Of course, I don't much care for them after they are bled. Just too strong tasting.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Bleed them as soon as caught and completely cover in ice. When filleting dont get real close to the skin when skinning.(this eliminates most of the red meat) Then cut out the red strip in the middle. You want to remove all the red meat. If you like stronger fish like spanish you'll love it. I like it cut into fingers then fried in Louisianna fish fry in the blue bag with the catfish on it. :-D
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I hear you skin them, season with some garlic, butter, lemon juice and cavenders seasoning...place it on a cedar plank..cook for 20 minutes over a indirect flame, toss the fish in the trash and eat the cedar plank :roll: :lol:
Just Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by Just Fish »

Secret to cooking any fishy tasting fish.

Soak the meat in milk for about 30 minutes before cooking it. It will draw the fishy/blood taste from the fish.

A friend of mine who argued with me that bluefish could not taste good, ate an entire plate of fried blue fish sticks that I made and then asked for more.

I suggest making sticks out of the fish so you can coat it with flavorful breading and get the most flavor around the fish.

Everyone I have cooked blue fish for has been very impressed with the taste.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Blufish - either use as bait or throw back alive - no eating value whatsoever. They eat them up north but those folks don't know squat about eating anyway. Throw the blues back in the water. Stop at Publix on the way home and buy some catfish for the frier.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Put them on grill whole...begin drinking: consume 2 Makers Mark per
hour for 3 hours; open grill and feed whatever is left to the crabs or
buzzards; continue Makers Mark until you don't remember ever even
trying to grill the bluefish!

Damn I love grillin dem blues!

PS...I forgot to mention placing the grill downwind!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Re: Need a bluefish recipe.

Post by Barhopr »

gwheeler wrote:Hi all! I caught some bluefish this weekend and was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for them? A co-worker of mine said that they eat them in North Carolina and I thought I would try it.
Give them to your friend :lick:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

RHTFISH wrote:Put them on grill whole...begin drinking: consume 2 Makers Mark per
hour for 3 hours; open grill and feed whatever is left to the crabs or
buzzards; continue Makers Mark until you don't remember ever even
trying to grill the bluefish!

Damn I love grillin dem blues!

PS...I forgot to mention placing the grill downwind!
:smt005 :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Bleed em right after catching them, cook em while they are fresh and they are fine. Ain't nothing wrong with those blues!
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

We slipped a couple blues in with some trout, and once fried, no one noticed. Being fresh helps, and some people can taste the difference, but if you are not looking for it, it may slip by.
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

I've grilled them and fried them, both times they were fresh. Not bad but I've eaten spanish macks that tasted just as good. :-D

Like RHTFISH wrote, enough good liquor and you don't mind too much :smt005
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Chalk wrote:I hear you skin them, season with some garlic, butter, lemon juice and cavenders seasoning...place it on a cedar plank..cook for 20 minutes over a indirect flame, toss the fish in the trash and eat the cedar plank :roll: :lol:
That's Good :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :thumbup:
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!