1st Aide @ Sea

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

1st Aide @ Sea

Post by Capt Reggie »

:smt006 Good morning everyone: :roll: Recently (within the past couple of days, recently), I found myself rendering 1st Aide to a friend aboard the boat (see my pitiful report under Inshore Fishing Reports). :o This brought to the forefront of my dim, dinosouric, pea-brain, the notion that I should revisit some basic articles for dispensing life saving techniques to those of you that MAY be interested! :lol:

Let us just say that these articles and techniques are EMERGENCY items NOT found in those general, handy-dandy, output charlie, run-of-the-mill type First Aid Kits sold to you in stores so you can pass the USCG Auxiliary's Boat Inspection process!!! :wink: Instead, I will attempt to fill in the gaps missing with a few things you may find necessary to save a life or treat a friend's injuries, etc. All you other "once upon a time" medics, etc., out there feel free to jump right on in here and help me out ! :thumbup:

#1. CPR mask - don't go cheap on this one as it protects you from lip to lip unknown, unseen nasties of this day and age! God help you if this one gets you on the water, but remember to use CPR (study the techniques or get certified), Call 911, & rapid transport to the hill for medical assistance, eh. Yeah, this IS a true emergency! :smt004
#2. Protective disposable gloves - again, do not go cheap here...these protect you against blood borne pathogens...get the puncture resistant ones, you are NOT a "tough guy"! :smt009
#3. Adolph's Meat Tenderizer, Plain formula - for jellyfish & Stingray attacks (most ER facilities use HOT water to reduce the pain, but you will not have that luxury on most boats)...make a paste, place it under a large compress bandage, and slap it on the affected injury site - the pain will subside quickly...rapid transport to medical help (YES, call 911)! :P
#4. Large sized bandages - most 1st Aide Kits have little-bitty gauze pads, 2X2's, or 4X4's - that is not big enough...get some GI Joe "Battle Dressing" sized ones (they are called Kling & Kerlix brands by emergency standards), or go to the Army/Navy Store and buy some "Battle Dressings", really...these are large enough to cover a huge, gaping wound. Remember, the friend you are treating is NOT a "tough guy" either! :smt010
#5. Buy a pair of "Bandage Shears" - these are special made shears that will cut through most anything...like clothing, shoes, fishing line (yeah, including the braided lines), etc., because you need to get at the source to see what is the matter with your partner. Oh, and remain calm, even if you are "frightened by your wits out of"...because YOU ARE THE TOUGH GUY! :beer:
#6. Forget about giving your wounded friend any of those pain pills, creams, ointment, etc. Save that for home or the MD @ the ER! :smt007
#7. You will need to make up a "Hook Extraction" Kit - get a long piece of 80-150# test mono leader material; make a large loop and tie one end using a Surgeon's Loop knot (get some directions on how to tie this simple knot); get a large, curved Hemostat device (like the ones doctors use to sew you up with); have on hand a large pair of pliers that will cut through a big hook!

Read the article in this month's issue of GAFF Magazine on hook extraction!!! Go practice on something other than yourself or a human (NO, do not use the dog or cat, either)...be creative, I don't care. I want you to know by actually doing this procedure that it is so easy "a caveman could do it"...I'm sorry, Gecko, I just couldn't resist that one. :lol:
#8. Remember - you are captain of your boat and responsible to everyone on it, including yourself! Be a tough guy, even if you are not! Things will happen in our lives that test us in many ways...one day you will face an emergency aboard your boat - deal with it i.e. like the good Boy Scout: Be Prepared! :-D

Now, all the rest of you doctors, nurses, Dr. Moms, Mr. Moms, EMTs, paramedics, etc., so on, and so forth, please fill in where I might have left off.

#9. And, go get a bigger container to put all this new stuff in, okay! :hammer:
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

very nicely done Cap'n .. good reminder for us all

since CPR is mentioned first ... "Get Certified!" "Stay Certified." In many certs and recerts you can do CPR and Advanced first aid together. Certain employers will support you in this - with either time off to do the certification, or bringing the red cross in to the job site, or reimbursing you for the cost.

re your hook extraction notes:
#7. You will need to make up a "Hook Extraction" Kit - get a long piece of 80-150# test mono leader material; make a large loop and tie one end using a Surgeon's Loop knot (get some directions on how to tie this simple knot); get a large, curved Hemostat device (like the ones doctors use to sew you up with); have on hand a large pair of pliers that will cut through a big hook!

Read the article in this month's issue of GAFF Magazine on hook extraction!!! Go practice on something other than yourself or a human (NO, do not use the dog or cat, either)...be creative, I don't care
seems that I saw a horse for sale somewhere .. lots of surface area to practice on ;-)
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Soccerdad wrote:seems that I saw a horse for sale somewhere .. lots of surface area to practice on ;-)

Run Sparky, run for your life!!!!

:-D
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
bman

Re: 1st Aide @ Sea

Post by bman »

Capt Reggie wrote:for jellyfish & Stingray attacks (most ER facilities use HOT water to reduce the pain, but you will not have that luxury on most boats)...
Don't forget you have hot water coming out of the engine P- hole!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

I'm certainly glad SeaBisquit is dead now or you might want to practice on him, too? :smt009

Good point about the hot ejection water port on the outboard there, Bman... :thumbup: That might work, I've never tried it, but the Adolph's Meat Tenderizer darned sure kills the pain (p.s. it works for most stings, too = like bees, wasps, mosquito & sand gnats, etc.)! The medical nerds tell me it is all about neutralizing the enzymes, you think. :lol:

And, absolutely, please get certified in CPR and Basic 1st Aid. You state workers can get this done for little $ through one of your agencies (those of you attached to Dept. Of Health have a direct line to EMS via that department and their employees). The Red Cross is a great source for training. If you are a military reservist, see your training center medic for this option! :)

Law Enforcement & Firefighters are now taught the "new" First Responder Training which is very similar to the old EMT course - closer to 40-60 hours, where the subject matters covers most emergencies (except extrication techniques), including the "new" CPR procedure certification! DO IT!!! 8)
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.