Offshore Dog Island 6/9

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EddieJoe

Offshore Dog Island 6/9

Post by EddieJoe »

On the way to the coast, stopped at Crum's for bait. Never seen so many boat trailers and trucks at the place, mostly from Georgia. Tournament?
Anyhow, me and Al slid the Pioneer into the basin at Lanark right about 7. Pretty crowded already at the ramp but orderly. Checked my pinfish traps and found I had lost one somehow. Pretty good bait in the other trap, although loaded with small spadefish.

Headed to a number in 70', and the ride was O.K. but a bit sloppy due to the North wind, tide, and some confused chop and rollers. As soon as we anchored up, started catching red grouper. More than our limits of legal sized fish in the boat, but had to let all but three go, because they were all reds except for one big gag. Moved a bit and kept fishing: reds, reds, reds, plus three good sized sharks. With circle hooks, no damage to the fish upon release but why in the world do we have a one red bag limit for recreational fishermen? Dead bait worked about as well as live on the grouper. No kings, no cobia seen.

Stopped at a couple of other numbers on the way in, not much. K-tower was infested with divers, so nothing there.

Ride in was great, one foot seas, light breeze, getting hot. Measured 92 degrees at the ramp. Beautiful day, I am looking forward to retirement in August - won't have to fight the darn crowds on the weekend.

Luck,

EJ
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Yeah, if you figure out their reasoning for red grouper, and red snapper please explain it to me! Good day on the h20 EJ :thumbup:
I bet you're counting the minutes until August! :-D :beer:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

We must have all of the red grouper for the whole state right here in our backyard from the looks of things. Nice haul :thumbup:

By the way, what is this retirement thing you speak of?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Good day EJ. My FIL fished out of Carrabelle Sat. said they caught a ton of red grouper. :roll:
GULP! free since 1970.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Sounds like a good day. :thumbup:
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Reel Cowboy wrote:By the way, what is this retirement thing you speak of?

Isn't it a nice idea? Fishing during the week? Sleep in when you need to, get up early when you should? Yes sir....

EJ
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Nice day on the big pond.
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!