fishing rod/reel

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rgharris83

Post by rgharris83 »

I'm looking for any suggestions on a new set up. Trying to stay around $100. I've got plenty of saltwater set ups and I'm looking to get me a nice freshwater casting reel. Any thoughts on Quantum or ????
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Ambassador 5500 for the reel with Berkley Lightning Rod should keep you under $100. You can't kill an Ambassador.
rookie

Post by rookie »

Wal Mart has the Quantum Iron for about $60, and All Star Rods for $39, I know that is right at $100, but in my opinion that is a very good setup.
Leerr

Post by Leerr »

I would get an ambassuder 5000 or 5500 for around $60 at wal-mart and the $39 all-star;)
Tight Lines and Screamin Drags...
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Quantum makes a good product. I dont know if they will hold up to tournament fishing or saltwater,but for recreational fishing I've never had aproblem on Largemouth up to 10lbs.
Tom's advice on the ammbassador is sound, very tough and reliable. The only trouble I've ever had with 5500's has been with the anti-reverse. I prefer a low-profile reel for bass fishing because I palm the reel and they are more comfortable to me.
As for rods go with a med-heavy one-piece with lots of graphite for sensitivity especially for worm fishing.

Try basspro. They always have combos that will suit most needs this time of year

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dewyafish on 2002-02-01 1:04 pm ]</font>
Fish Hawk

Post by Fish Hawk »

I was also going to suggest you look at the basspro combo's you can't beat the price and for all fresh water application they will last just fine. I have a quantum IR4 Iron that has been very good in the salt, casts better than my ambassaduers but I don't think it is as rugged, who needs rugged for trout. :grin:
Save some for later.