Tragedy on the water!

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

captain K
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by captain K »

Today a 1968 34' Hatteras aquired a split in the hull & sunk to the bottom. 6 people were aboard, all but 1 made it to safety. The one who did not survive, passed due to a heart attack not a drowning. I'm making this post for a reason! The seas were 3-4 and I saw many, many, many boats out today (some that probably should have stayed home due to conditions) My point in this tragic situation is that no matter how large or small your boat may be you are never EVER out of harms way! I knew the boat that sank and had passed it many times offshore & in. The boat always seemed to run fine and have the hatteras quality. But unforseen structural wear took it's toll on this final outing.. The Genteman that Passed today was from Thomasville Georgia. Please stay safe and take that extra few minutes to fix those known problems, because this one rests on the bottom due to an unseen problem. God Bless
(some of the exact facts are still being looked into)
Personal Note: I was not impressed by the Coast Gaurds lack of ergency!
Capt. K
Team Surface Interval
Stay safe, Stay legal, Stay Fishing
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I heard the whole ordeal on the radio and thought the same thing. The Coast Guard didn't seem that concerned and almost happy that they didn't have to come out when the other boat picked up the passengers.

The biggest problem I had was the dumba$$es that kept on hailing and talking on 16 while the ordeal was going on. I counted no less than 7 times when the info being relayed had to be repeated because of the traffic. Folks if you hear somethin like that going on, do not use 16 to hail your buddy about the grouper bite or to do radio checks.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I am not familiar with the area in question. Could the Hatteras have gotten holed on rocks or something. You sure would not think 3-4 seas would cause the hull to fail. :???:
captain K
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by captain K »

OK,

Here is the deal. I dove the wreck site and apparently in 1966 when they built this particular hatteras. The hull was built in two halves joined at the keel. My assumtion is the since the bilge had major oil build up (no oil or fuel was leaking due to the sinking) oil had penetrated the fiberglass laminating and weakend the hull. This combined with the seas yesterday 4-5' the hull was breached along the keel. Plans are still sketchy if they will raise it or not. Hopefully not since I have this new dive/fish site that no one has & it is not worth raising .... As far as chating on 16 Tom is 100% correct LISTEN FIRST BEFORE YOU TALK ACROSS THE RADIO PLEASE!!!!!
dwoody49
Site Sponsor

Post by dwoody49 »

Thanks for the advice on doing the hidden maintenance. I plan to take a look at all the hoses from bilge pump to live well to make sure they are not weakening. I might just replace them once a year to be safe. I heard the ordeal too and it was not fun to realize someone was in deep trouble. I agree with everyone, listen before hailing on 16. The fish talk can wait in these situations.
I'm thankful to have gone out on Saturday and made it back in those bad conditions. The weather folks blew it.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Dwoody, did I see you at Oshman's Saturday night?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dwoody49
Site Sponsor

Post by dwoody49 »

I was there. Didn't see you to my knowledge? I was looking for a deal on some new rods. I need to replace the top eyes on one of my big poles. Any idea where to find a wide assortment of eyes?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I was behind you as you walked out. Wasn't sure if it was you and didn't say anything.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

K,

That's good advice for anyone that sets foot in a boat. I was in the USN for 6yrs and have answered my share of MAYDAY calls. People just don't understand how dangerous the sea can be. I always try to tell people she has one goal: Sink your boat and take your life.
You and tom are so correct in saying take care of your equipment. If there is any doubt about seaworthiness, get it fixed before you go. Everyone has seen what can happen on "a thee hour tour".
As far as radio chatter during an emergency, you both are "DEAD ON"

My .02 worth.
BigbaitBigfish

Post by BigbaitBigfish »

dwoody - try Kevins. The repair guy, Bill, in the back can either fix it for you very nicely or he can sell you the part pretty dang cheap, and he has just about everything.
captain K
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by captain K »

Sorry guys no new dive/fishing site. The Hatteras is being raised tomorrow By Capt. Rusty of Carrabelle Tow Boat US. I will be there to video & help set up the underwater lift bags and stuff. Should be fun I'll have video of the whole thing for the next meeting.
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

Capt. K, how did the recovery go?
captain K
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by captain K »

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH Let you know when we get it up!!Still working on it.. We had air bag trouble and needed more daylight.. I'll keep you posted.