Deep Frying with Peanut Oil and a quick Physics Lesson

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Mook!
Site Sponsor

Deep Frying with Peanut Oil and a quick Physics Lesson

Post by Mook! »

Here's a few tips and tricks, and a physics lesson I re-learned a few hours ago...

Physics Lesson: Heat and Pressure are related. Something under pressure can get much much hotter than you think possible

Peanut Oil: Something about Peanut Oil multiplies this effect by 100

Tip: When the burner is about medium, and you have a lid on there creating pressure, peanut oil can easily heat to well over 600 degrees.

Tip: If you have a thermometer that only goes up to 600, and you stick it in hot peanut oil that's been sitting on the medium burner for 20-30 minutes while you clean more scallops because you decided you didn't have quite enough, it very well may explode.

Tip: Just milliseconds after your 600 degree thermometer explodes, you may learn that the peanut oil is hot enough to make the ambient air flammable

Trick: If you find this to be the case, don't be a retard and squirt water on it. Put the lid back on.

Tip: If you execute this maneuver, regardless of how successful, and you used to have hairy arms, you probably will not after that.

Tip: Burned hair smells even worse if you just got home from fishing and had a bunch of bug spray on it.

Tip: The smoke from burned peanut oil mixed with the smell of melted bugspray-hair is one of the most horrible smells in the world.

Trick: If your house still smells like a grease fire and it's still a little cloudy near the kitchen after venting for an hour or so, be glad you still have your hairless arm and your house, grab a Corona, and hit up the fishing forums. The more you drink, the less dominant the smell becomes, and the funnier it is that you narrowly avoided burning the house down and lost all the hair on your left arm.

Mega-Tip: If you have an assortment of outdoor fryers and 8 or 10 pots to choose from, it's a good idea to use one of them instead of the stove and small pot because "you're only cooking a little and don't want to waste the oil and have to clean a big pot"
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Useful info :lol:
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

glad to hear you had a place to sleep. Hope the scallops taste good.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
bman

Post by bman »

No Photos?????
:D
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

bman wrote:No Photos?????
:D
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :beer:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I love the smell of burning peanut oil in the afternoon :lol:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Sounds like a lesson not soon to be forgotten! :-D

The results could have been MUCH WORSE!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
beatswork

Post by beatswork »

Shortly after getting married 10 years ago, I had caught a mess of fish and figured on having a fry. Started going about getting everything ready, family began showing up when my wife unexepectedly got called to work. I was large and in charge and told everybody to chill out while I got dinner ready and lit burner and put the grease on to get warm and ready. I got sidetracked with making biscuits when I noticed a beautiful orange glow from the carport. I had flames from the grease that reached the ceiling of the carport. I was able to get everything extinguished.

We had pizza that night.

The next day I was replacing scorched ceiling.

I haven't heard about it from my for wife over two weeks now.

Watch the grease!!!
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?