Species I.D.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Does anyone have a website for species identification. Just trying to remember where I saw one. I think it was in this forum.
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

The fish I'm looking for is called a squirrelfish in the destin area. The picture that Ifound in big fish tacke online is not what I'm looking for sorta' looks lik a lizardfish but is shorter and fatter. We catch them on cut-bait and sometimes even on a sabiki. Grouper will inhale them.

Any help on the real name for this fish? :???:
Bottomtime

Post by Bottomtime »

Dewya, try the link below. This is linked to the Fl. Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commision. Pretty good pictures of the different species. See if a "sand perch" resembles what your looking for?

http://marinefisheries.org/photo.htm
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Thanks Bottomtime,
That's the fish.. We have always called them squirrelfish because that is what I was told by some very capable charter captains.

Why the different name?
Bottomtime

Post by Bottomtime »

Who knows why fish get so many different names. The fish listed on that site as a white grunt was always known to me as a pink-mouth grunt. Same with the Rock/Black/Seabass. Or how about a cobia/ling.

I have heard of sand perch being called squirrel fish before though. When drifting over hard bottom, it was always easy to tell when we drifted over sand cause those little rascals would latch on to a piece of cut-bait as big as they were. They kind of remind me of my ex-wife. I never could figure how she got such a big mouth on such a tiny body!
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Yeah bt. Every time we catch one bottom fishing, we would change location right after you put that little crumbsnatcher in the baitwell.

10-4 on the little lady.
Fish Hawk

Post by Fish Hawk »

If the sand perch isn't real tiny they are very good eating. Real meaty little filets, and white as snow.
Save some for later.
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

never seen one more than about8"
Rather take a chance on a grouper than try to filet 1 8" fish
my .02 worth
Bottomtime

Post by Bottomtime »

In the event anyone is interested, FWC, Division of Marine Fisheries, has the FL fish ID poster. I called (850)488-6058, gave them my address, and four posters were mailed to me. Groupers, Snappers, Pelagics, and Baitfish.