Castnetting finger mullet near St. Marks?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Squall Line

Castnetting finger mullet near St. Marks?

Post by Squall Line »

Any suggestion on a good place to try? I picked up an 8' net last week, and had decent luck getting some pin fish in the creeks, but was really interested in finding some good sized finger mullet. Any tips would be much appreciated. I had a 4' net when I was a kid; it feels good to be throwing one again. I am hoping I can start making it cost effective v. fishing store bought live bait, and those horrid gulps :evil: .

Eric
bbb

Post by bbb »

I can tell you when more than where. Low tide. The fish need to be out of the grass to be caught with any consistency. When the tide is low, they are hugging the bare shoreline and the exposed bars in 2-6" of water

In other words, put the 8' net up and go buy a 4 footer for casting the shoreline and bars.

edit. You will catch more mud minnow than finger mullet but they're basically the same bait except the mud minnows live longer.
Mook!
Site Sponsor

Post by Mook! »

I agree with everything bbb said. This time of year they are all over the oyster bars at low tide. I do have one additional piece of advice; use a cheap net, 4 footer is perfect. The oyster bars will give you a much higher mullet to other stuf ratio, but they move pretty quick. I walk out to water almost knee deep and stand perfectly still with the net in my mouth ready to throw.

Try to find em swimming and throw it a little forward of them; they will scatter but a 180 is the hardest thing for em to do, so I try the land the rear center of the circle about where they are when I chuck it. To catch them effectively on the bars, you'll need to be prepared to throw before you see them, and that means no checking for sharp stuff. I cut up my nets all the time, but I just buy the $20 ones from walmart for that stuff, and keep 2 or 3 in my arsenal. When I get free time at home I repair them with leader wire or re-tie etc...
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

WARNING: Throwing a cast net on an Oyster bar will ruin your cast net.

I like to use minnow traps and pick them up in the morning. For bait use Jumptrouts dentures or Tincans socks. Both will be availble at the next NFGFC Meeting Sept 20 aat 7:00 pm at Beef O Brady's.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

jsuber wrote: For bait Tincans socks. Both will be availble at the next NFGFC Meeting Sept 20 aat 7:00 pm at Beef O Brady's.
Sorry folks. I am not parting with the one pair of socks I own.
What was I supposed to do today?
breeze

Post by breeze »

I've had my best success right in front of the lighthouse at this time of year just as the low tide turns and heads inward. Wade in and cast a four-footer around the grass at the shoreline :thumbup:
'If you don't know where you're goin', you could end up anywhere.'
Squall Line

Post by Squall Line »

Sounds good, thanks 8) . I still have the 4', and it is now in the boat.

Eric
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Don't forget to bring along a cheap aerator machine and a 5 gallon bucket to keep them lively :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I want to buy a cast net. Saw one at Wal-Mart for 25.00, would it be worth buying?
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

If your looking for live bait the answer is yes. But look that the tourney fisherman the answer is no.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

snatch-n-reel wrote:If your looking for live bait the answer is yes. But look that the tourney fisherman the answer is no.
You gotta quit drinkin' and typin'. Somebody's gonna get hurt. :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.