Tom Keels?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

Tom,
I don't know if you guys would be interested, but I would be happy to give a talk at one of your NFGFC meetings re: fishing and diving medicine. (Decompression sickness, shallow water blackout, dehydration, bumps/cuts, emergency kits, ciguatera, seasickness etc.)
I'm currently finishing up a general practice residency at TMH.
Let me know...
grouper sandwich

Post by grouper sandwich »

Boomhauer, that sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure of who we have coming this year, but we are always looking for a guest speaker. As the club grows there are more and more members who are certified divers or are thinking of becoming certified. Having someone speak to them about diving safety and emergency medicine would great.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I was thinking the same thing. But I thought it might be a good idea to incorporate a CPR/first aid lesson in with the discussion. What do you think boom?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

Tom,
I'm not certified as a BLS instructor, but could easily incorporate a little "basic CPR". I also picked up some good tricks from my rescue diver training back in the day, in addition to advanced life support work needed for my job.
The CPR is useful for the landlubbers too. Didn't someone have a heart attack on the Hatteras the other day. I could taylor a talk however you like.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Boom, let me talk with the other club officers about it. I'm sure they would love to have you speak.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Spear Bender

Post by Spear Bender »

boomhauer:
Yes the owner of the Hatteras that sunk had a heart attack during the accident. Check out the boating section of this discussion board and click on 'Tragedy on the Water'....it tells the whole ordeal!