St. Marks Preserve By Bicycle

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aucilla
Site Sponsor

St. Marks Preserve By Bicycle

Post by Aucilla »

Yesterday, after a six-day-work week and chores in the morning, I left the house after 3 PM to go fishing. I was desperately needing some sunshine! I made up a small backpack and loaded up my bike and went by myself to check out those dikes in the St. Marks Preserve, on the coast north of the rock garden.

Here are a few tips for doing this: drive past the pay station, where you are supposed to pay $5, and go to the Visitors Center and get a annual pass JUST FOR the St. Marks Wildlife Preserve or whatever that is. I costs 15 bucks. Bring water and BUG REPELLENT. You won't feel all the gnats until you stop. And you might bring a camera. I brought my crumbiest one, the one I keep in my truck all the time; and wished I had a better one.

Anyway, my bike was still decked out from the Festival of Lights in Tallahassee last weekend.

I started down this trail

It was just beautiful, but so is all of the coast this time of year. I remember that, as I drove across the bridge at Newport, saying to myself how beautiful it will be to take the boat up the St. Marks now. Who cares about catching fish with all these colors?

Anyway, I just had a backpack with some gear, a flashlight, some water, and something warm. Also, I had a map I had gotten at the Visitors Center. And I pedaled on. I stopped at a few places that looked fishy, and threw a piece of frozen shrimp. But stayed at those places for less than five minutes each. It required getting in some grass and being covered in gnats, and I got a lot of little pecks at the shrimp; but I didn't feel these were the right spots. I was gone in a hurry.

But this spot looked pretty good:

I kept my backpack on and went to the edge of the water. I put a Gulp! "molting shrimp" color on a large, red jig head, free lined, and tossed it out there. It was an old, used grub, still wet but "legless." I felt a few taps, then--on this first cast--I had one on.

I was patient, especially because I don't use a net wade fishing and, up until this point, I hadn't even gotten my feet wet. As I coaxed it in, I slid my back pack off and got out my measuring stick: I was optimistic!

And it was dinner!

It was getting late, and I had a long ride back to the truck. So, I put the fish in the garbage bag I had brought, put my rod straight up in my backpack, and rode into the sunset.

It was getting dark by the time I got to the truck. I was home by 7, dry and with hardly any gear-rinsing or other cleanup to do. And I finally got some fishing done! And a little catching, too. :)

Incidentally, I would not try this without a bike with a lot of gears! There were some soft, sandy areas on the trail. But it would be a wonderful long walk, too.

Also, you don't have to watch out for alligators. They are everywhere!
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Sounds fun! Nice camo on your bike!
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Sounds like a good trip to me. I'm thinking about doing that myself.
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Nicely done :thumbup: both the adventure and your report :thumbup: :thumbup: :D Thanks.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

Those dikes are fun to ride. Last Sunday (12-2) I went all the way behind Redfish Point where the dike goes back into the woods. I also got some good pictures of Gray Mare Rock from the hill. I caught a nice bass and some small trout all on soft jerk baits.

The trail can be challenging due to the sand, gravel and some of the thick grassy areas. Also beware of the sand spurs. I have had to put Fix-a-Flat in both of tires and one will not hold air at all any more. I will be looking for some better bike tires for replacements.

Also I have seem some hogs out there as well and plan to bring some binoculars next time.
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Makes me wish I knew how to ride a bicycle.

WTG :thumbup:
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Bill, That's sounds fun and its good to see you here again :thumbup:
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

That bike ought to scare off some gators :thumbup: :lol: ...Looks like a good time.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Neat report... :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice :thumbup: :thumbup: