Steinhatchee/Keaton 12/6-7/07

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Breambuster

Steinhatchee/Keaton 12/6-7/07

Post by Breambuster »

Took a couple of colleagues from the Carolinas for a little taste of saltwater fishing in Florida. The trout fishing has been louzy the last few weeks so I decided to go out on a charter with Capt. Brian on the Bigbendcharter on Thursday.

Neither have caught a grouper before so the goal is to change that on this trip. A couple of grouper fishing rookies:

Don was the first one to hook up.

But it was not big enough to keep:

Todd was the second to hook up,

and its a keeper.

Seas were sloppy early (see first pict) but calm down enough at around noon for the Capt. to run out to his more productive fishing holes and we proceed to wear them out (or may be it was the other way around).
One of the firetruck we brought up.

A victory shot back at the dock.

And we wrap up the trip at Fiddler.

We stayed the night at Keaton. Don left early so Todd and I went out for a little cork slinging on Friday. With very little tide movement and hardly any wind to speak off, the fishing was slow most of the day but picked up toward the late afternoon. We didnt catch the first keeper until almost 2 pm but like flipping on a switch, the bite was fast and furious at around 3.30 pm. We had our limit of mostly nice fish between 17'' - 21'' by 5.00 pm. Ran over 40 mph back to the KB channel as the sun setting behind us - cant get any better than that.

Todd with the catch:

We were fishing at around 20 miles using pinfish and frozen LY on Thursday and in 2-3' water with shrimp, pinfish and SA electric chicken on Friday.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Nice report and pictures. You've sure messed up a couple of rookies for sure! :thumbup: :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Looks like a good couple days to me. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Great couple of days :thumbup:
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Bet they'll be back :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Wolfpack! :thumbup:

You spoiled em :lol:
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

wooohooo! Looks like you had a blast, and a darn good dinner too!