Various Redfish Sliders

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Various Redfish Sliders

Post by Barhopr »

I was going to post step by step photos of the fly, but to be honest I don't have the patience to do it. It would take me an hour to tie one fly.

These are tied on 1/0, #1, #2 and #4 in the picture
wrap entire shank from the eye to the bend.
tie in a hank of either craft fur or polar fiber to the underside of the hook beginning at a point even with the hook point. ( leave fur sticking up in front of the hook point).

pinch ends and slide over hook point to be sure an even amount is on both sides of the hook. put a dab of zap a gap on the threads.

Tie in beadchain eyes( about as far back as the eyes are wide from the eye of the hook)on the top side of the hook. zap a gap

Tie in two trimmed( leave some web) saddle hackles together and wrap thread forward to eyes.
Palmer the hackles forward to the eyes and tie off on the underside of the eyes.

Wrap back through the palmered hackles to the tie in point and back up to the eyes. put in a half hitch or two and zap a gap.

place a hank of deer body hair on the top of the eyes(extending over the eyes) and wrap with two loose wraps. On the second wrap pull straight down and while keeping the thread tight continue to wrap the thread. the hair will flair and spin around the shank of the hook. Put two or three tight wraps on it and wrap thread back to eyes.

Use your fingers to pull back deer hair and wrap thread tight back against the deer hair to make it stand up. zap a gap and wrap forward of the eyes and put a couple of whip finishes on. tie in weed guard and whip finish that. finish off with head cement, zap a gap or epoxy.

I think thats all, if not....it's late...give me a break :-?

Oh yeah trim the deer hair head on the hook side at an angle from the hook eye to the point of the hook, leaving the point exposed. other than that, trim the head to what ever looks good to you and what ever you can cast. Mine are a little woolly
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
birddog
Site Sponsor

Re: Various Redfish Sliders

Post by birddog »

Looks great. I'll take a couple. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Various Redfish Sliders

Post by snatch-n-reel »