Seeking Advise, Which 5, 6, or 7?

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Re: Seeking Advise, Which 5, 6, or 7?

Post by Littoral »

A 6 it is.
Now I seriously need to catch some fish with it to get over the trauma.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
TallyFly

Post by TallyFly »

Cost of joining the local Fly Fishing club is $15/year from Jan 1. Current cost of FFF membership for new members is $10. $25 gets both. What has kept you from joining before? A club is only a clb without u.

We have been trying to put together a rod building class and are looking for an instructor. We have 12 Redington blanks with handles and reel seats. We have to order the other hardware and tying materials. If we do not find an instructor soon, we will have the class anyway and teach our own versions of how to build a rod.

If you know of anyone who can help guide our efforts, let me know. We have a member who lives on Lake Jackson offering his garage for a workshop. A small class of 5-6 might be better to start with.

In like manner, Capt Reggie will be offering an Intermediate Fly tying class starting the 3rd Tuesday of February. I believe he still has room for a few more brave souls.

Come visit us at the St Marks Heritage Day on Saturday, 2/2/08.

Tallyfly
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

thanks for the response Tally, I may have to join this year, making the meetings would be tough but I could make a few.

*edit
Sorry, gotta work tomorrow (2nd)...sounds like fun though
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Jacknasty

Post by Jacknasty »

Get the 6wt.

I just purchased a 6wt TFO TICR and put a 7wt line on it with a Battenkill LAIII reel. It throws like a dream

My Loomis CC GLX 8wt likes an 8wt line. It's a canon and does a lot of work on its own.
My Sage RPLX 9wt doesn't matter what line I put on it - I hate it. It doesn't know what a tight loop is. It's great for fighting fish, but doesn't blast line like the Loomis.
My TFO 6wt just became my "go to" rod for all around inshore fishing

I just picked up a TFO 4wt and an Orvis TLS 5wt for pond fishing (bass) and will most likely start using these rods for docklight fishing in the summer. I like the action on these rods for short dock work, but wouldn't call on them for flats fishing. The 6wt can handle that all day long and will probably keep my 8wt in the case on most trips now.
Ramon
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Bought a 6, the new TFO Axiom, for less $ than the TiCrx. It really casts nice. :D
With the money I saved I added a TFO 310LA reel. It's a light reel and makes the rig light and balanced.
I have a TiCr 8 and I'm thinking that I'd benefit from putting 9 weight line on it.
Of course it has to be the rods fault. :wink:
Even if it isn't, if I think going up a size will work better than I'll probally cast better.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Glad to hear the good reports on the TFO. I got an 8wt Axiom today. Seems like a good rod for the money. I'm waiting on the Gloomis Eastfork 7-8 reel to come in. My Dad got the same reel with a Gloomis Cross Current 8wt rod. It will be interesting to see how the rods compare. We are beginners so it will be fun learning.