Horseshoe Beach navigation

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Horseshoe Beach navigation

Post by KarstRanger »

Anybody got any tips on running out the channel at Horseshoe Beach? If the seas calm down enough Tuesday, then I am going out from there for the first time -- to a (hopefully :-D ) grouper hole about 15 miles out.

Is that channel as tight as it looks on the chart ? And, I have been down there and seen 14' foot boats come in with their props tilted up almost in the air.

From the looks of the chart I am assuming that I need to stay within that marked channel until I get to Marker 2 -- which apparently is the beginning of the channel. And, is the public ramp pretty decent there or real shallow or whatever else I should know about ? Thanks !

Well, these images aren't very readable, but you can get an idea of the challenge here from seeing all the single digit depths (and those are not fathoms !!).

[as dropship enters atmosphere] "We're in the pipe, five by five."
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Horseshoe Beach navigation

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Well, first, let me say that if you go to a grouper hole 15 miles out, You had better be prepared to pay a hefty fine, as grouper season is closed past 9 miles until March 15th.......

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Dubble Trubble wrote:Well, first, let me say that if you go to a grouper hole 15 miles out, You had better be prepared to pay a hefty fine, as grouper season is closed past 9 miles until March 15th.......

What he said.

As far as the channel is concerned it is pretty darn tight and there are some large jetties that run about half the length. Pretty good trout fishing down there not sure about the grouper though.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

FILET AND RELEASE? :oops:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Jumptrout51 wrote:FILET AND RELEASE? :oops:
you forget: release in the grease
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
Dubble Trubble wrote:Well, first, let me say that if you go to a grouper hole 15 miles out, You had better be prepared to pay a hefty fine, as grouper season is closed past 9 miles until March 15th.......

What he said.
I appreciate the head's up, but where are youall getting this information? I checked my 2008 FWC Fishing regs -- There ain't no closed season on Grouper in this reg. What am I missing here? Seatrout is closed for February. What gives or am I yet another victim of fishing forum humor?? :hammer:
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Not forum humor just trying to save your hide.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =1&t=17131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

Reel Cowboy wrote:Not forum humor just trying to save your hide.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =1&t=17131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well darn, I thought I posted a reply, but it "went away"...

Thanks, Dubble Trubble :thumbup: and Reel Cowboy :thumbup: , I see now that I was cruisin' for a bruisin' going out 15 mi. for Grouper. Well, we will try it within the 9 mile limit and see if anything bites -- maybe so in this cold weather. Otherwise we will go get some black sea bass and grunts to help make the trip worthwhile. :D
bman

Post by bman »

One of the other guys posted this in the last thread....

Florida Department of Agriculture
Bureau of Seafood & Aquaculture Marketing
balthrp@doacs.state.fl.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FLORIDA SEAFOOD SEASON ADVISORY

NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service has announced the closure of the red, gag and black grouper fishery in Gulf of Mexico federal waters from Feb. 15 through March 14, 2008. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has announced the same grouper fishery closure in state waters.
The commercial harvesting of greater amberjack is prohibited from March 1 through May 31, 2008.
Federal Gulf of Mexico waters extend beyond 9 nautical miles offshore Florida and state waters are inside the 9 nautical mile line.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Study your map. Look about due west of the last marker. There a are a couple of good holes between 7-9 miles out of Horseshoe. This time of the year the grouper are in close.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

bman wrote:One of the other guys posted this in the last thread....

Florida Department of Agriculture
Bureau of Seafood & Aquaculture Marketing
balthrp@doacs.state.fl.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FLORIDA SEAFOOD SEASON ADVISORY

NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service has announced the closure of the red, gag and black grouper fishery in Gulf of Mexico federal waters from Feb. 15 through March 14, 2008. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has announced the same grouper fishery closure in state waters.
The commercial harvesting of greater amberjack is prohibited from March 1 through May 31, 2008.
Federal Gulf of Mexico waters extend beyond 9 nautical miles offshore Florida and state waters are inside the 9 nautical mile line.

:hammer: Now I am more confused. Does this mean we can't fish for grouper within the 9 mile state jurisdiction, either? I have a couple of days to figure this out as I surely have to wait for this front to come thru, first.
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Grouper fishing (red, gag, and black) on the Gulf of Mexico is closed to recreational anglers and commercial fishermen in federal waters during February 15 to March 15. However, grouper fishing will remain open in state waters during this time for recreational anglers only. Federal regulations apply in federal waters which extend beyond 9 nautical miles from the shore in the Gulf of Mexico and beyond 3 nautical miles from the shore in the Atlantic. For federal regulations, please visit http://www.gulfcouncil.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the Gulf of Mexico and http://www.safmc.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the Atlantic.
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I think someone at the Fla Dept of Agriculture was either misinformed, or trying to spread false information. Either way, shame on them....

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

Thanks for the help, guys :thumbup: . We would have certainly been out there doing the illegal shuffle if youall had not been keeping a watch out. The FWC web site also notes that only federal waters are closed to groopah, not inshore FL water.

http://myfwc.com/whatsnew/07/statewide/ ... losed.html