Yamaha High Pressure Direct Injection

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

krovbo

Yamaha High Pressure Direct Injection

Post by krovbo »

Anyone having problems with this model engine? My Yamaha 200hp HPDI ran perfectly for about 2 1/2 years. Starting this spring it has been a continuous problem. First the oil pump system required several repair trips and replacment of sensor and pumps. Next a series of intermittant overheat warnings that acted like grass on the intake resulted in replacement of waterpump, liner and poppet. Then came a series of plug foulings and we are awaiting parts on what may be a long series of potential causes.

The dealer (who has been very responsive) has advised me that Yamaha is now reccommending continuous use of ring free and fuel stabilizer additives. At $7.95 a pint each this is an expensive solution. Although not as expensive as the repairs. The genuis that wrote the extended warranty knew exactly which parts would never fail and covered only those.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Last time I checked, ring free has nothing to do with the cooling system or the oil pump. Sounds like the mechanic is just trying to get some more cash out of you.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

krovbo

Ring free

Post by krovbo »

Supposedly the ring free is to prevent the plug fouling and fouling of the oxygen sensor.

A friend tells me the fouling problem is showing up in older motors in south Florida.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

When I bought mine the dealer told me I had to clean the O2 sensor about every 100 hours or so. He said to take it out and burn it with a torche and then lightly tap it on something to get the carbon off. It may need to be done to yours. I never did get an owners manual for it. :-?